LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How much power steering fluid does the system hold?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How much power steering fluid does the system hold?

Checked my Haynes manual (useless as **** on a boar hog, IMO)
Checked my factory manual (very detailed but difficult to manuever)
Neither one mentioned the p/s fluid capacity, although the factory manual had most, if not all, of the other capacities.

I pulled my engine so I could install the new one, so the system is pretty much empty. I don't want to crank this thing with the fluid level low, but I don't want to have 2 quarts of p/s fluid setting on my shelf for 10 years either.
Anybody give it a shot? I just need an approximate for startup.
Old 05-31-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just went through this same problem with my car. What I did was pour one full quart in the reservoir, started the motor, and slowly added more. Think I ended up with around a quart and a half, maybe more. You will need to turn the wheel lock to lock a few times to maximize the capacity though. Overfilling it will cause the fluid to come out of the reservoir - in other words you won't do any damage, you'll just make a mess.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Isn't that interesting? I was just at the store and looked at a quart of Prestone p/s fluid. The label stated "fills up to 32% of your reservoir" which would have led me to purchase 3 quarts. What a PITA.
Thanks for the info. I certainly don't want it burping on my driveway, but my concern is that I won't have time to pay attention to it at startup. It is a whole new engine and I fear I'll need to be paying attention to more important things at that time.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Isn't that interesting? I was just at the store and looked at a quart of Prestone p/s fluid. The label stated "fills up to 32% of your reservoir" which would have led me to purchase 3 quarts. What a PITA.
Thanks for the info. I certainly don't want it burping on my driveway, but my concern is that I won't have time to pay attention to it at startup. It is a whole new engine and I fear I'll need to be paying attention to more important things at that time.
Yep, you went through the same thing I did. New motor, etc. I'd say you'd be safe to pour in a quart and change and check the fluid later.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks, Joe. One less thing to worry about. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: How much power steering fluid does the system hold?