LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

porting intake to 58mm for new TB. On car or no

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default porting intake to 58mm for new TB. On car or no

theres that writeup out there that shows it has worked well for a few people, but does anyone think this is a bad idea? I already ordered the intake gaskets, but if i can do it without pulling the intake that would be pretty cool too. Opinions?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

common sense. wont the extra stuff coming off the intake go into the engine?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suppose if you block it off well enough it would be fine.

But seriously, what's another dozen or so bolts to just take the entire manifold off? I would take it off, but that's me.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard of people stuffing rags in the intake to open it up. Would I do it? Hell no. It took me over an hour of washing my intake to get all the aluminum out of it when I opened mine up.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i guess i will pull it off then.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can pull an intake in 15 minutes and put it back on in 30.
Pull it off.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:09 PM
11 Second Club

Absolutely beyond a shadow of doubt take it off! It can be done on the engine but it's just too easy to remove the intake, seriously all of 20 minutes and you get to put a fresh intake manifold on, always a good thing for the LT1s It's super easy.
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea i did my head gaskets twice last year so i got pretty good at taking it off. I guess i will just pull it
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
yea i did my head gaskets twice last year so i got pretty good at taking it off. I guess i will just pull it
Good man...
TECH Regular

Take it off and paint it why you have it off, make its look a ton better under there!

I would never grind on anything near an engine, but I'll also say you'd be surprised what an engine can pass and I'll say I've even whitnessed people port the heads while they're on the car! (runners only of course) but no way I'd do any of that, just too easy not to do.

Good luck with it!
Old 06-09-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Just No.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 PM
12 Second Club

No Way...too much can go wrong. I agree with My95Z...get it painted or powdercoated while you have it off if you can spare a few bucks...it would be worth it to make the bay look better! I know that's what I am doing!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

it already is painted red but i think i'm going to paint it black instead. plus, the red paint is starting to chip off a bit
Old 06-09-2009, 08:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Off the car unless you think ingesting aluminum chips is good for the motor.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

there is a writeup out there of someone doing this mod with the intake still on the car. He plugs the holes inside at the front/bottom of the intake with ear plugs. Sticks rags (in case anything passes the other towel) inside the intake to block the runners pushed in there a little ways. Then he put a towel in front of the other one that had been soaked in oil (to try and catch some more of the aluminum dust) Then he laid some duct tape in there upside down to catch even more. He also tapes towels on the outside (away from the ports) to keep the other area clean.

Also after he removed the towel he kept wiping the inside until there was no more shimmer on the new oil soaked towel.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by litch2004
there is a writeup out there of someone doing this mod with the intake still on the car. He plugs the holes inside at the front/bottom of the intake with ear plugs. Sticks rags (in case anything passes the other towel) inside the intake to block the runners pushed in there a little ways. Then he put a towel in front of the other one that had been soaked in oil (to try and catch some more of the aluminum dust) Then he laid some duct tape in there upside down to catch even more. He also tapes towels on the outside (away from the ports) to keep the other area clean.

Also after he removed the towel he kept wiping the inside until there was no more shimmer on the new oil soaked towel.
i looked at that link today. But, since i already ordered the gaskets, and i want to repaint the intake, i'm going to just pull it. especially since i should be able to have the intake off in less than a half hour
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MTBSully
i looked at that link today. But, since i already ordered the gaskets, and i want to repaint the intake, i'm going to just pull it. especially since i should be able to have the intake off in less than a half hour
O yea it takes me no time now. I have had this thing off so many times now it has it's own place on the work beach.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:37 PM
12 Second Club

This sounds like just about as much work if not more than just taking the manifold off...IMO the risk of tearing up your engine from debris is not worth the labor to do the job...If you miss anything then next thing you know your tearing more off than just the manifold to fix the damage it caused...lol
Old 06-09-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann
This sounds like just about as much work if not more than just taking the manifold off...IMO the risk of tearing up your engine from debris is not worth the labor to do the job...If you miss anything then next thing you know your tearing more off than just the manifold to fix the damage it caused...lol
Yes you are right. I was just stating the way someone else did it if for some reason he just did not want to take his off. It would be much easier to remove it to do this task anyways.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

I actually did mine on the car and followed the link that you ar talking about....It was very easy and I had no alluminum shavings inside the intake when I was done except for the oil soaked rags.....I wouldn"t be afraid to do it either way! Just funny that I had taken the intake off a month later for a cam swap and a rebuild....Could have done it then but i'm impatient....Anyway's good luck with the mod!!!!

Quick Reply: porting intake to 58mm for new TB. On car or no