LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

angle management

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 03:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default angle management

i really need some help people. i putting new head gasket but the torque is in degrees i have a 96 lt1. i still have the motor in the car and i have an angle meter but with limited room i wont be able to see how much angle im putting down is there a formula or does anyone know what ftlbs. to put my head bolts at i dont want to screw this up.
Old 06-12-2009, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Torque specs should be followed for the fasterner not necessarily the application. Torquing fasterners to to put a little stretch on the bolt so it clamps in place, how much stretch it needs is a function of the fastener design not what it is fastening.

If you made the MISTAKE of buying new OEM TTY head bolts then you need to figure something out. If you bought normal head bolts follow the torque spec they were supplied with, OEM is 65ft.lbs for the 95 and earlier bolts, seen 70lbs for some aftermarket bolts.

I know 96 came stock with TTY bolts but the TTY thing was an OEM assembly thing and really no reason to do it if you ever take it apart, just buy normal head bolts and torque them like the 95 and earlier engines.
TTY is technically more accurate BUT it a lot harder to duplicate under the hood of a car and straight up torque worked fairly well for the almost 40 year history of the smallblock before they decided to try TTY so it will work well and be MUCH easier for you.

Quick Reply: angle management