LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Got hit with a monsoon .....

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 01:27 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got hit with a monsoon .....

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem... I got caught in a Monsoon Last night here in Pa. and my bird didn't like it !! The water was on the street about 1 to 2 inches but I was driving slow just trying to get her home. Well she started missing and spitting but I did get her home. When I got parked she was spewing white smoke out the exhaust pretty good the SES like came on and I just shut her down and went in the house. This morning I started her up and the miss was gone and there was no smoke but my SES light is still on. Now I just recently put on a cold air intake, the kind that has the cone filter that sits in the fender well. I was thinking maybe this thing sucked somewater into it, or the Opti got wet. If it did suck water into the intake is there anything I should do now to prevent damage? And if it was my opti will the SES light go out on it's own once the opti drys out? Just don't want to damage anything I don't have to. Any advice will be helpfull.

Thanks
Dug
Old 06-18-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

advise: take the car some where to see what the codes were that set off the SES light (ex. autozone, or orileys) Those codes would take away a lot of the "guessing"
Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Ur Opti got wet for sure. Those things sucks ***. Always silicone around edge when installing a new one for prevention. Worked great for my ole LT1
Old 06-22-2009, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Well the SES went out on it's own after two days... Didn't get a chance to take her over to autozone to see what it was. Can they still tell what set it off after it goes out ? Another thing.... Took her down the car wash Sunday AM. Just sprayed her off quickly with the rinse, left the motor running, when I got back in the SES was on again.
I'm starting to think it is that Cold air intake I put on. I ordered it off E-bay and the last tube is so long that the filter sits well below where the air box was. In fact I had to install the filter end from underneith by removing the bolts on the plastic cowling in front of the wheel well and puting the filter in from the bottom up through the hole at the bottom where the air box sat. I think this must be where I am sucking water up at. Anybody else run into this problem? I was thinking of cutting off the last chrome section of pipe before the filter and getting it back up in the area where the OME air box sat. Any suggestions?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:42 AM
Launching!

i have a moroso CAI and my filter sits in the inner fender and i had to put in just like you did. i dont drive my car in rain, but a week ago i got caught in a heavy rain on 95 where i was doing 40mph with my flashers on. it was raining so hard water was collecting on the highway (about 2 inches). i never had a problem.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I had the SLP dual filter CAI on my 95 Formula and didn't even have the splash guard installed and drove through a TORRENTIAL downpour with it one time. Easily 2 inches of water on the road and some huge puddles. It never skipped a beat.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If the opti got that wet then something is failed or installed wrong.

I have never siliconed one and have driven through more water at higher speeds without a hint of an issue.

Check to make sure the wiring is sealed and the vent harness.

For all the IGNORANT bitching about the opti it works just fine if the wrench working on the car is competent. ANY distributor will act up if water gets inside them and most are mounted higher without any attempt made to keep them dry or water tight. I stalled out HEI equipped 4X4 trucks because of water never have a drowned an opti though.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:58 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Obviously if you were seeing white smoke then you got water in the engine which means it passed through the MAF. If that is the case then water will definitely cause the car to hiccup and sputter if it remains moist or the filter is wet. Even if the code disappeared it is still stored in the PCM. I would bet it is MAF related.
Just a word of advice... if you do experience something like this again with that much rain and the car starts to sputter, shut if off and wait the storm out. The next time you ingest water you could very well hydrolock your engine.
Old 06-22-2009, 03:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys you have answered alot of my questions. This is not my D. D. car so I didn't get a chance to take it over autozone yet for a code check. Good to know it will still be in there even if the SES is out. Thats why I love this site , lots of smart people always willing to share their knowledge with us newbie's.

Quick Reply: Got hit with a monsoon .....