LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

lt1 valves????

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default lt1 valves????

i need some info on valves idk too much about them. i bought a set of stock heads that were gasket matched and had manely valves and comp springs. i dont think i should use the heads but would i get anything out of the valves and springs on stock heads. i think the valves are 202 and 155 but i dont know too much about that stuff thats why i have turned to you guys. im going to throw a comp 306 cam in my lt1 and just want to know if the bigger valves would make a dif. i know i will need the springs just any info will help thanks
Old 06-19-2009, 07:16 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

If the valves were installed properly, then yes, it helps a stock head flow more, if they did not bowl blend the head with the new bigger valves, it will do little, but port matched and bigger valves with pocket porting by someone that knows what he is doing, then yea, the gains are good.

I am moving this to the LT1 section..
Old 07-15-2009, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im about to take the valves off and i just want to know that exactly bowl blend means. i just want to know what im looking for. im going to measure them and find out the right measurements. i had read somewhere that you can use 200/156 valves on stock heads, but do they need any type of porting? can you get anything out of them if you dont port?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro
im about to take the valves off and i just want to know that exactly bowl blend means. i just want to know what im looking for. im going to measure them and find out the right measurements. i had read somewhere that you can use 200/156 valves on stock heads, but do they need any type of porting? can you get anything out of them if you dont port?
Any reason in particular you don't want to use those heads?
I would take the heads with the larger valves to a reputable cylinder head shop. Have them pressure test the heads, see if the valve seats are opened up for the larger valves and see if any porting/gasket matching was done. Have them clean up the heads and have them test your springs and install new valve seals. You can also have them run a slight mill on the heads to true them up.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i had talked a guy i kinda know at a machine shop and he said to just to a valve job on my heads that are on the car now and not to mess with those heads bc they will need to be milled again and might hit the pistons. he said to go ahead and take off the valves, and he will clean them up and all the machine work for $120. is that a good deal. but with bigger valves will it give me any hp on nonproted heads.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

i had talked a guy i kinda know at a machine shop and he said to just to a valve job on my heads that are on the car now and not to mess with those heads bc they will need to be milled again and might hit the pistons. he said to go ahead and take off the valves, and he will clean them up and all the machine work for $120. is that a good deal. but with bigger valves will it give me any hp on nonproted heads.

Does your aquaintence know LT1's specifically?
LT1's have flycut pistons stock, PTV clearance is usually not an issue.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

he knows his stuff, but he said there could be a chance of that just bc they have been resurfaced before and who knows how many times. he would have to take them apart to check them out and if he does all that he can just put them on mine all for $120. he said the needed a helicoil and the gasket match was bad, thats why he wanted to use mine. but i took them off just now and it was a good thing bc the valve guides were dif on each head and one was cracked. would that mean anything? and hp too?
Old 07-16-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

he knows his stuff, but he said there could be a chance of that just bc they have been resurfaced before and who knows how many times. he would have to take them apart to check them out and if he does all that he can just put them on mine all for $120. he said the needed a helicoil and the gasket match was bad, thats why he wanted to use mine. but i took them off just now and it was a good thing bc the valve guides were dif on each head and one was cracked. would that mean anything? and hp too?
"his stuff" and LT1's may not be the same... Just stating that.

Quick Reply: lt1 valves????