Intake manifold oil leak symptoms.. - LS1TECH

Log In 


LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Intake manifold oil leak symptoms..

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default Intake manifold oil leak symptoms..

How bad can the intake manifold leak oil? I have a nice puddle under the car that forms after everytime i stop when driving the car. I eliminated a few things (oil pressure switch, oil filter, oil pan/rear main). I cannot think of anything else. I have oil everywhere under the car and also on the body (tranny tunnel area). Are these typical from leaking intake manifolds?
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzee View Post
How bad can the intake manifold leak oil? I have a nice puddle under the car that forms after everytime i stop when driving the car. I eliminated a few things (oil pressure switch, oil filter, oil pan/rear main). I cannot think of anything else. I have oil everywhere under the car and also on the body (tranny tunnel area). Are these typical from leaking intake manifolds?
Given enough miles/years the heat from the egr tube breaks down the RTV that seals the back of the intake. So it is fairly common to get a leaky intake manifold.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

It was done last year.. and no EGR tube on this car
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member
iTrader: (36)
 
ss.slp.ls1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 7,535
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzee View Post
It was done last year.. and no EGR tube on this car
Then if it is in fact leaking from the intake manifold, it's because of installation error.
ss.slp.ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1 View Post
Then if it is in fact leaking from the intake manifold, it's because of installation error.

That's what I don't know -_- That's why I posted the thread lol
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (3)
 
killagt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,740
Default

when I put my hand under where the EGR is, I feel a THICK RTV silion LOL, I feel thanks to the last owner lol.
killagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
TECH Addict
iTrader: (18)
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Navy Base San Diego CA
Posts: 2,085
Default

yes, a leaky intake manifold can leaks tons of oil. If everything else checks out fine like you said, that pretty much just leaves the intake
Badazz 97 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
yes, a leaky intake manifold can leaks tons of oil. If everything else checks out fine like you said, that pretty much just leaves the intake
Yeah, I just don't see how the oil would get on the body (above the transmission) if it weren't the intake manifold lol
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Village Troll
iTrader: (2)
 
SS RRR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Jackstandican
Posts: 8,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1 View Post
Given enough miles/years the heat from the egr tube breaks down the RTV that seals the back of the intake. So it is fairly common to get a leaky intake manifold.
Bunch of crap. Hopefully you didn't get that bit of knowledge from Ken Collings since he knows about as much on that subject as a cup of dirt.
The EGR tube does not "break down" sealant. The reason why LT1 manifolds leak is either not enough sealant on the intake, dirty/sloppy install or the expansion/contraction of the entire intake (not just the area where the EGR tube is) causing intake bolts to loosen as well as sealant to fatigue over time or all of the above.
Hopefully you will not encourage the OP to wrap the EGR tube...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzee View Post
Yeah, I just don't see how the oil would get on the body (above the transmission) if it weren't the intake manifold lol
Oil can get anywhere it wants. You must understand while the car is in motion the undercarriage is an extremely hostile environment.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Oil can get anywhere it wants. You must understand while the car is in motion the undercarriage is an extremely hostile environment.
Tell me about it.. It looks like a murder scene under there
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (31)
 
SoxXpupPeT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Yonkers, NY
Posts: 3,364
Default

i had a leak from the back of my intake because of me and how stupid i was with the RTV silicone it wasnt enough
SoxXpupPeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
TECH Junkie
iTrader: (17)
 
HoLLo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Italy
Posts: 3,168
Default

My old LT1 was very leaky, when the motor was pulled.. pretty much all the way around the intake manifold was oil, and it looked to be like it was coming from the back of the manifold and dripping down from there to the ground.
HoLLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
TECH Addict
iTrader: (1)
 
myltwon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 2,763
Default

I had a bad intake manifold leak once, everytime I'd drive the car oil would pour on onto the exhaust practically and there'd be a cloud of smoke coming from under the car
myltwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
I had a bad intake manifold leak once, everytime I'd drive the car oil would pour on onto the exhaust practically and there'd be a cloud of smoke coming from under the car
Exactly what would happen. Anyway,

I replaced the intake manifold and put on VERY generous bead of Copper RTV on both sides of the block, and alas... IT STLL LEAKS lol. The intake manifold doesn't leak for sure (front is dry and i felt the back on the seam and it's dry). The oil leak seems to have gotten smaller (smaller puddles) so I assume the intake mani was just one of many leaks. Where else could the damn thing be leaking that much from? Under hard acceleration, my friend noticed that the car smokes (from oil hitting the exahust). HALP!
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
TECH Addict
iTrader: (30)
 
tspence45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Monmouth, Illinois
Posts: 2,154
Default

Water pump drive seal or timing cover gasket maybe? That's where my oil leak is coming from. And everything under the car is just caked with oil. It gets on my x-pipe all the time and smokes also.
tspence45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspence45 View Post
Water pump drive seal or timing cover gasket maybe? That's where my oil leak is coming from. And everything under the car is just caked with oil. It gets on my x-pipe all the time and smokes also.
Nah, front of the motor/under it is spotless. Oil leak has to be coming from somewhere in the back/top. No leaks anyways up front or middle \=
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
12 Second Club
iTrader: (15)
 
Z28Camaro30Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheyenne, Wy
Posts: 1,928
Default

backs of the heads!

I had a 97 Z28 and someone had tried to mill the gasket surface on the side of my heads that meets the block. They ended up leaving huge grooves in it and the gaskets never set.......I had a shop do a dye test because I had already fixed my rear main, intake manifold, timing cover, valve covers, WP drive, oil pan, and oil sending unit...still leaked after all that... They put a dye in my oil and ran it for a bit then put the car on a lift...

They used a blacklight and shined it under my car and the dye glows flourescent in the blacklight. Any fresh oil was glowing and it led them to the back of my heads...both of them...and it was a BAD leak...I thought they only dealt with coolant in the heads, but apparently the oil can leak from the back...
Z28Camaro30Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
TECH Junkie
Thread Starter
iTrader: (12)
 
1badzee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: SFL
Posts: 3,015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann View Post
backs of the heads!

I had a 97 Z28 and someone had tried to mill the gasket surface on the side of my heads that meets the block. They ended up leaving huge grooves in it and the gaskets never set.......I had a shop do a dye test because I had already fixed my rear main, intake manifold, timing cover, valve covers, WP drive, oil pan, and oil sending unit...still leaked after all that... They put a dye in my oil and ran it for a bit then put the car on a lift...

They used a blacklight and shined it under my car and the dye glows flourescent in the blacklight. Any fresh oil was glowing and it led them to the back of my heads...both of them...and it was a BAD leak...I thought they only dealt with coolant in the heads, but apparently the oil can leak from the back...
I have brand new DART heads with under 1,000 miles on them. That makes sense (what you're saying) but I would say that's quite a stretch for my situation. Thanks for the suggestion though!
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
12 Second Club
iTrader: (15)
 
Z28Camaro30Ann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Cheyenne, Wy
Posts: 1,928
Default

NP. I just remembered going through that situation before and it took me forever to get it down but that ended up being the problem.

Are you positive they seated right when they were put on? Did the leak start before or after the install? did you have the seating surface milled before you put them on, or did you just take em out the box and install them??

Not trying to insult you, just trying to cover all possibilities
Z28Camaro30Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (20)
 
riceburnerZ28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Plano, IL
Posts: 1,199
Default

don't forget about the valve covers. I recently discovered my passenger side was leaking near the back of the head and I thought it was the intake.
riceburnerZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
puddle of coolant under car rynb15 LT1-LT4 Modifications 4 04-06-2016 04:04 PM
LT1 oil leak problem HotWings LT1-LT4 Modifications 11 03-12-2015 12:22 PM
Is this an exhaust manifold leak.... OnA Fan LT1-LT4 Modifications 8 02-16-2014 05:46 PM
Oil leak at back of engine nrs2420 Generation III External Engine 16 08-13-2011 03:02 PM
Oil leak on passenger side? What to check? porksoda LT1-LT4 Modifications 9 11-25-2008 11:16 AM


Tags
afr, back, bad, car, chevy, gasket, heads, intake, leak, leaking, manifold, oil, problems, puddle, signs, symptoms

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 PM.