Go Back   LS1TECH > SBC-BBC-LT1-LT4 PERFORMANCE > LT1-LT4 Modifications
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

LT1-LT4 Modifications
1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Welcome to LS1Tech.com!
Welcome to LS1Tech.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join LS1Tech.com today!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:05 PM   #1
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 12
Default Intake manifold oil leak symptoms..

How bad can the intake manifold leak oil? I have a nice puddle under the car that forms after everytime i stop when driving the car. I eliminated a few things (oil pressure switch, oil filter, oil pan/rear main). I cannot think of anything else. I have oil everywhere under the car and also on the body (tranny tunnel area). Are these typical from leaking intake manifolds?

1993 A3 Z28
1badzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:46 PM   #2
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to ss.slp.ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1badzee View Post
How bad can the intake manifold leak oil? I have a nice puddle under the car that forms after everytime i stop when driving the car. I eliminated a few things (oil pressure switch, oil filter, oil pan/rear main). I cannot think of anything else. I have oil everywhere under the car and also on the body (tranny tunnel area). Are these typical from leaking intake manifolds?
Given enough miles/years the heat from the egr tube breaks down the RTV that seals the back of the intake. So it is fairly common to get a leaky intake manifold.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM   #3
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

It was done last year.. and no EGR tube on this car

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-19-2009, 09:02 PM   #4
TECH Senior Member
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 36
Send a message via AIM to ss.slp.ls1

Quote:
It was done last year.. and no EGR tube on this car
Then if it is in fact leaking from the intake manifold, it's because of installation error.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1 View Post
Then if it is in fact leaking from the intake manifold, it's because of installation error.

That's what I don't know -_- That's why I posted the thread lol

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-19-2009, 09:38 PM   #6
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 3

when I put my hand under where the EGR is, I feel a THICK RTV silion LOL, I feel thanks to the last owner lol.

2002 Trans am red m6 T-top stock for now weekend crusing FIRST LS1 owner ( Havent update sig for 3+ years, its SOLD !
killagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
TECH Fanatic
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 18

yes, a leaky intake manifold can leaks tons of oil. If everything else checks out fine like you said, that pretty much just leaves the intake
Old 06-19-2009, 10:03 PM   #8
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA View Post
yes, a leaky intake manifold can leaks tons of oil. If everything else checks out fine like you said, that pretty much just leaves the intake
Yeah, I just don't see how the oil would get on the body (above the transmission) if it weren't the intake manifold lol

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-20-2009, 01:05 AM   #9
Village Troll
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1 View Post
Given enough miles/years the heat from the egr tube breaks down the RTV that seals the back of the intake. So it is fairly common to get a leaky intake manifold.
Bunch of crap. Hopefully you didn't get that bit of knowledge from Ken Collings since he knows about as much on that subject as a cup of dirt.
The EGR tube does not "break down" sealant. The reason why LT1 manifolds leak is either not enough sealant on the intake, dirty/sloppy install or the expansion/contraction of the entire intake (not just the area where the EGR tube is) causing intake bolts to loosen as well as sealant to fatigue over time or all of the above.
Hopefully you will not encourage the OP to wrap the EGR tube...
Quote:
Yeah, I just don't see how the oil would get on the body (above the transmission) if it weren't the intake manifold lol
Oil can get anywhere it wants. You must understand while the car is in motion the undercarriage is an extremely hostile environment.
1996 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 SS #597 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28SSilvest View Post
You sir, are a genius with the mind of a 10 year old.
SS RRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #10
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS RRR View Post
Oil can get anywhere it wants. You must understand while the car is in motion the undercarriage is an extremely hostile environment.
Tell me about it.. It looks like a murder scene under there

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-20-2009, 08:11 AM   #11
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 31

i had a leak from the back of my intake because of me and how stupid i was with the RTV silicone it wasnt enough
Old 06-20-2009, 09:03 AM   #12
TECH Junkie
2001 Pontiac Trans Am

Trader Rating: 17

My old LT1 was very leaky, when the motor was pulled.. pretty much all the way around the intake manifold was oil, and it looked to be like it was coming from the back of the manifold and dripping down from there to the ground.
| Tim R. | 09 MGM G8 GT A6 | 01 SOM Trans Am WS6 M6 | ASC #1738 |

| 97 Trans Am LS1 Swap R.I.P |
HoLLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #13
TECH Addict
Garage is empty, add now

Trader Rating: 1
Send a message via AIM to myltwon Send a message via MSN to myltwon

I had a bad intake manifold leak once, everytime I'd drive the car oil would pour on onto the exhaust practically and there'd be a cloud of smoke coming from under the car

2004 Dodge Durango Limited - 4WD, 5.7 Hemi, stock for now
myltwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:37 PM   #14
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by myltwon View Post
I had a bad intake manifold leak once, everytime I'd drive the car oil would pour on onto the exhaust practically and there'd be a cloud of smoke coming from under the car
Exactly what would happen. Anyway,

I replaced the intake manifold and put on VERY generous bead of Copper RTV on both sides of the block, and alas... IT STLL LEAKS lol. The intake manifold doesn't leak for sure (front is dry and i felt the back on the seam and it's dry). The oil leak seems to have gotten smaller (smaller puddles) so I assume the intake mani was just one of many leaks. Where else could the damn thing be leaking that much from? Under hard acceleration, my friend noticed that the car smokes (from oil hitting the exahust). HALP!

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #15
TECH Addict
1998 Pontiac Trans Am
My Garage

Trader Rating: 30
Send a message via MSN to tspence45

Water pump drive seal or timing cover gasket maybe? That's where my oil leak is coming from. And everything under the car is just caked with oil. It gets on my x-pipe all the time and smokes also.

'94 Z28 M6- Lid conversion, LT's, X-pipe, 3.90's, MadZ28 tune, etc. Blown up
'98 Trans Am M6- 6.0 LQ4, L92 heads, LS3 intake, TSP 231/236 cam, NW 92mm tb, SLP lid, LT's, X-pipe, Tuned by Frost, etc. SOLD
'02 Z28 A4- Intake, 80mm TB, Loudmouth 2 catback, 3.73's, tune, and a bunch of suspension parts Sold
tspence45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #16
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspence45 View Post
Water pump drive seal or timing cover gasket maybe? That's where my oil leak is coming from. And everything under the car is just caked with oil. It gets on my x-pipe all the time and smokes also.
Nah, front of the motor/under it is spotless. Oil leak has to be coming from somewhere in the back/top. No leaks anyways up front or middle \=

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-28-2009, 05:19 PM   #17
12 Second Club
1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 14
Send a message via AIM to Z28Camaro30Ann Send a message via Yahoo to Z28Camaro30Ann

backs of the heads!

I had a 97 Z28 and someone had tried to mill the gasket surface on the side of my heads that meets the block. They ended up leaving huge grooves in it and the gaskets never set.......I had a shop do a dye test because I had already fixed my rear main, intake manifold, timing cover, valve covers, WP drive, oil pan, and oil sending unit...still leaked after all that... They put a dye in my oil and ran it for a bit then put the car on a lift...

They used a blacklight and shined it under my car and the dye glows flourescent in the blacklight. Any fresh oil was glowing and it led them to the back of my heads...both of them...and it was a BAD leak...I thought they only dealt with coolant in the heads, but apparently the oil can leak from the back...

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS #2528 "Black Widow"
N/A 383 Stroker LT1, M6, TEA 220 Heads, Bullet Cam, Full Bolt-Ons, SFCs, LCAs
442 RWhp/406 RWTQ
Previous Build: N/A 357 H/C/I w/Bolt-Ons. Made 411 RWHP/390 RWTQ, 12.99@110, 2.1 60ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6 View Post
It's like you are choosing the ugly girl that's a prude, when the hot one that wants to **** is waiting for you.
Z28Camaro30Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #18
TECH Junkie
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28Camaro30Ann View Post
backs of the heads!

I had a 97 Z28 and someone had tried to mill the gasket surface on the side of my heads that meets the block. They ended up leaving huge grooves in it and the gaskets never set.......I had a shop do a dye test because I had already fixed my rear main, intake manifold, timing cover, valve covers, WP drive, oil pan, and oil sending unit...still leaked after all that... They put a dye in my oil and ran it for a bit then put the car on a lift...

They used a blacklight and shined it under my car and the dye glows flourescent in the blacklight. Any fresh oil was glowing and it led them to the back of my heads...both of them...and it was a BAD leak...I thought they only dealt with coolant in the heads, but apparently the oil can leak from the back...
I have brand new DART heads with under 1,000 miles on them. That makes sense (what you're saying) but I would say that's quite a stretch for my situation. Thanks for the suggestion though!

1993 A3 Z28
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #19
12 Second Club
1997 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 14
Send a message via AIM to Z28Camaro30Ann Send a message via Yahoo to Z28Camaro30Ann

NP. I just remembered going through that situation before and it took me forever to get it down but that ended up being the problem.

Are you positive they seated right when they were put on? Did the leak start before or after the install? did you have the seating surface milled before you put them on, or did you just take em out the box and install them??

Not trying to insult you, just trying to cover all possibilities

1997 30th Anniversary Camaro SS #2528 "Black Widow"
N/A 383 Stroker LT1, M6, TEA 220 Heads, Bullet Cam, Full Bolt-Ons, SFCs, LCAs
442 RWhp/406 RWTQ
Previous Build: N/A 357 H/C/I w/Bolt-Ons. Made 411 RWHP/390 RWTQ, 12.99@110, 2.1 60ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjohnsonws6 View Post
It's like you are choosing the ugly girl that's a prude, when the hot one that wants to **** is waiting for you.
Z28Camaro30Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
TECH Fanatic
1994 Chevrolet Camaro

Trader Rating: 20
Send a message via Yahoo to riceburnerZ28

don't forget about the valve covers. I recently discovered my passenger side was leaking near the back of the head and I thought it was the intake.
97 Dodge Neon: daily driver
Quote:
"I don't have V-Tec, but I do have the "fukumupbad" setting on the boost controller!"
riceburnerZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 05:47 PM
LS1Tech
Pontiac Firebird

Paid Advertisement

Tags
afr, back, bad, car, chevy, gasket, heads, intake, leak, leaking, manifold, oil, problems, puddle, signs, symptoms