LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Low Res Pulse Circuit Failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Low Res Pulse Circuit Failure

ACdelco opti with maybe 3k miles on it throws me this code and I have it towed from my body shop to JBA Racing shop that built my motor so they can figure out exactly what it is. Assuming it is the opti and not some related electrical or other component, what could have caused this so soon? Maybe I didn't do a good job sealing the waterpump (although no leaks are visible)? I recently replaced the FPR and EGR valve and after the second day, bad stalls and it died twice while I was checking it out under the hood, engine idling.

I have a perfectly good spare NAPA brand opti just in case, but would the whole thing need replaced or just the cap and rotor? And can I make a vented cap out of a 94 opti without changing the timing chain and all that? I don't mean use a 96 opti, I mean just vent the cap of a 94.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

right now I'm pretty much thinking the waterpump was leaking onto the opti because I re-used it instead of buying a new one and/or I didn't install it well. If thats the case, does that necessarily mean that the opti is fried, can it just dry out?

Last edited by Marc3.4V6; 06-24-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got it back from the shop and all seemed fine until a little while on the freeway, something just wasn't right and power was down slightly. I make it home and let it sit for a few hours and start it up, I hear a clunk and nothing. Try again and it starts right up. I turn it off and start it again several times to see if it starts up right away (I was having long cranking issues before) and it is still getting a lot of white smoke. Not understanding this at all. I have never come close to overheating it what else can it be if not headgasket leak?

oh btw, what they did was replace some of the coil wires and re-did some of the MAF sensor wires and couldn't get the problem to re-occur.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Res/Lo Res Failures are the opti, Can you take it apart and clean/dry it out, Yes. Would I recommend it, No. White smoke is definetly coolant being burned in the combustion chamber..Head gasket or cracked head...

Quick Reply: Low Res Pulse Circuit Failure