LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lock up converter question?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 02:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lock up converter question?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1996 z28 camaro and just got speed shop to put all new seals in the transmisson. Well I picked it up and the engine light was on and I ran a scanner on it and they left a sensor unplugged well I guess its the one for the converter to lockup and its not locking up now since its unplugged and I have been letting my brother drive the car since he dosent have one and I havent had to time jack it up and fix it. With it having a lock up converter and it not locking up will that hurt the converter or transmission?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slow4.7on20s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 1996 z28 camaro and just got speed shop to put all new seals in the transmisson. Well I picked it up and the engine light was on and I ran a scanner on it and they left a sensor unplugged well I guess its the one for the converter to lockup and its not locking up now since its unplugged and I have been letting my brother drive the car since he dosent have one and I havent had to time jack it up and fix it. With it having a lock up converter and it not locking up will that hurt the converter or transmission?
There is no sensor that tells the transmission to lock the converter. The transmission receives the signal to engage the TCC solenoid from the main PCM harness that plugs into the passenger side of the transmission (large round plug). Exactly which code did you get?

With the converter lockup feature disabled, your MPG will suffer slightly, and you will also increase your transmission temperatures at cruising speed. This shouldn't be a problem if you have a good cooler, but you definitely want to get it fixed.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:30 PM
On The Tree

I dont remember the code it gave me. I went and check all the pluges under the car there all connected. I have a good aftermarket transmission cooler on it. All Iam worried about is will I burn up the lockup converter driving it around like this and Iam also not concerned about gas mileage its not my d/d
Old 06-21-2009, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do not drive it in overdrive with no lockup, it will burn the syncros in the transmission. driving it in 3rd gear "D" is fine tho.

your problem has nothing to do with the transmission nor converter. it is ur brake switch on ur brake pedal. it is not engaging. go under there and check it out. the plastic piece is prolly a lil unscrewed and not engaging. screw it back in. (you'll see it) but remember if ur car isnt tuned the lockup mph is 100mph in 3rd gear and 46mph in 4th gear (i believe) the 3rd gear mph lockup can be a headache at the track if it isnt corrected in the tune. this exact same thing happened to me. the lockup acts off the brake switch (weird i know) after numerous calls to my tranny guy and Yank and numerous posts on here i figured it out lol
Old 06-22-2009, 06:39 AM
On The Tree

i was talking to my buddy who had a 97 trans am same setup im running except he had a 35oo stall converter that wasent a lock up. he was telling me that since mine stopped locking up it is just like his and it will be fine since i have a aftermarket transmission cooler. is there any truth to what he said?
Old 06-22-2009, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

I ran for 2 years with no lockup converter in my 700R4 car - it was fine - but it had 3.73's and a 2500rpm converter, it was running at or above stall speed on the highway so it wasn't building too much heat. If you've got a long gear (ie 2.73's) you'll heat things up a lot quicker - especially with a non-stock higher stall converter. Again, if you've got a good tranny cooler, you should be ok.

Originally Posted by CamaroRacing12
do not drive it in overdrive with no lockup, it will burn the syncros in the transmission. driving it in 3rd gear "D" is fine tho.
Auto's w/ syncros? I'm guessing you mean the clutch-packs. If you run the trans hot enough you could start burning stuff up - running in drive if you're pulling a hill under stall speed without a lockup in overdrive is probably a good idea to keep things cool. It could be the brake switch, but I doubt it as they didn't monkey with that when the worked on the trans. They most likely just forget the plug to the rest of the wiring harness - I don't know where/what its like on a 4th gen as mine is an M6 - but my third gen cars were on the passengers side along the firewall, it would take 10 seconds to plug/unplug.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

i was crusing at 45 or 5o at about 26oo rpm
Old 06-22-2009, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slow4.7on20s
i was crusing at 45 or 5o at about 26oo rpm
Sounds like you must have a pretty significant stall coverter in the car. What is your rear-end and converter? Any other trans work? Aftermarket trans cooler?
Old 06-22-2009, 11:05 AM
On The Tree

its got 4.1o gears and a 35oo converter the trans is supposed to be built good it shifts real hard. it has a aftermarket trans cooler. its not my daily driver i dont take it down the interstate and i dont drive it real real far just cruise around town on the weekends or after work
Old 06-22-2009, 02:46 PM
On The Tree

I just ran the code scanner on it and it gave me the code P1864 and tcc ckt

Quick Reply: Lock up converter question?