LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

which alternator w/ an F1 Procharger???

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which alternator w/ an F1 Procharger???

Ok, seems my charging system is in need of an upgrade, either that, or I need a new stock alternator.

I have an F1 Procharger with 13lbs of boost and a TH350 with a Gear Vendor over drive unit. It appears to idle and run fine when off throttle and driving around town. However, if I get on the expressway when I get into 3rd gear overdrive, my voltometer falls to the floor and the car sputters and wants to die. When I get off the throttle and coast the volts slowly climb back up. I'm guessing the OD is seriously reducing the pulley speed and is eating up my battery charge. This is a 600+ rwhp beast, so it's not your typical LT1. Other than the Gear Vendor & MSD 6AL ignition box I'm not running anything out of the ordinary, like a DVD player or sound system. In fact, I can't hear anything except the exhaust so I might as well pull the Monsoon radio out.

The one rear wire post on the back of my stock alternator is loose. So I'm thinking it might be going and needs replacing, but I'm debating if I need to upgrade the alternator. According to my local Napa store, the stock amperage rating on the alternator is 140amps. That seems like a lot. Do I need to get a mini-charging alternator with more amps? BTW- I'm also using just a plain-jane battery... auto zone special, I forget the amp rating. Thoughts???
Old 06-22-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stock rebuilt alternator here.

Quick Reply: which alternator w/ an F1 Procharger???