LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oil leaking somewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leaking somewhere?

My oil is down about two notches on the dipstick. The power steering hose is covered in what I think is engine oil, so the water pump might be the culprit. Would it make sense that I don't find any oil drops on the driveway though? I haven't noticed any smoke while the car is running, so I don't think it's being burned. Any help is appreciated.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96blackta
My oil is down about two notches on the dipstick. The power steering hose is covered in what I think is engine oil, so the water pump might be the culprit. Would it make sense that I don't find any oil drops on the driveway though? I haven't noticed any smoke while the car is running, so I don't think it's being burned. Any help is appreciated.
the oil has to be going somewhere if its significantly low on the dipstick if you were to fill it to the top... if its not under the car somewhere after you run it for awhile and let it sit then idk
Old 06-22-2009, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are water pumps known to leak that much oil? I figure it's just a leak, but I don't know from where exactly.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Are water pumps known to leak that much oil? I figure it's just a leak, but I don't know from where exactly.
how many miles are on it ? id bet if its anything its on the back of the intake. thats where my car leaked TWICE! not fun times ive never had any problems with oil leaking from the waterpump... but theirs always something
Old 06-23-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

If your WATER pump is leaking OIL than you have bigger problems than having to top it off every couple weeks. Maybe you are talking about timing cover??
Old 06-23-2009, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Glad someone else caught the water pump. Thatd be a coolant leak.

The timing cover I would have to say is unlikely unless you lost that amount of oil over a long period of time. Usually a timing cover will leave an easily noticable spot on the ground.

Id take your car to the wash with some engine degreaser, give your engine a good cleaning all around while being careful of the electronics of course. The just drive around for a week, jack up the car and start searching for any signs of your leak.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:30 PM
Launching!

Could be your front main... I had a rear main leak and didn't realize it till it was too late... Pull your starter and shine a flashlight in your bell housing.
Old 06-23-2009, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

timing chain cover seals or the front of the intake manifold would be my bet. two main culprits for oil leaks
Old 06-27-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So today I was in a drive-thru idling for 15-20 minutes (stupid d-bag in front of me took forever). After I drove off, I noticed a good amount of burnt oil in the air... which makes me think oil is collecting somewhere, and then burning on my exhaust or something when I drive off. Does this help narrow anything down?
Old 06-28-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

So today I was in a drive-thru idling for 15-20 minutes (stupid d-bag in front of me took forever). After I drove off, I noticed a good amount of burnt oil in the air... which makes me think oil is collecting somewhere, and then burning on my exhaust or something when I drive off. Does this help narrow anything down?
If its burning on the exhaust you should be able to see where its leaking onto it and staining it. Get under the car and look
Old 06-28-2009, 12:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You would think I'd have checked by now. Tomorrow morning lol.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:29 AM
12 Second Club

The water pump would not be leaking oil...Timing cover was a bad one for me, then the rear main, then the back of the intake manifold...all of the above are a MF to fix...if it pools like that maybe its in your bellhousing? or on the K-member? but if it leaks THAT much I dont see why it wouldnt leave at least a few drops.

Take it to a shop and ask for the dye. They have an additive they put in your oil and drive it around for a few min. Does NO damage to the engine, but they shine a blacklight under the car and any fresh oil that has that additive in it will glow flourescent...will help locate that leak...
Old 07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The oil is leaking from the distributor. Car runs fine... so are there gasket/seal kits out there for it?
Old 07-01-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

yeah there is a seal in the timing chain cover for the opti.

your cover will look like the one on the left. the seal is the middle hole. You can pick up a timing chain gasket/seal set from autozone for like $10. it includes all 3 seals, 2 waterpump gaskets, and the cover gasket. or if you want to stay GM. the opti seal itself is GM#12552428

Old 07-02-2009, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

your leak is the seal behind the camshaft retaining plate i guarntee you you have to take the timing gears off and it would be a good idea to go ahead and either upgrade your optispark to an msd or buy a new stock one because mine was soaked with oil when i fixed the seal your problem sounds and looks just like mine if you have any questions send me a message
Old 07-02-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Lgoldtop
your leak is the seal behind the camshaft retaining plate i guarntee you you have to take the timing gears off and it would be a good idea to go ahead and either upgrade your optispark to an msd or buy a new stock one because mine was soaked with oil when i fixed the seal your problem sounds and looks just like mine if you have any questions send me a message

what seal behind the retaining plate? you talking about an LT1? and a MSD opti really isnt a upgrade.....
Old 07-02-2009, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Check your oil pan gasket and look around it to see if thats were it is..ive heard the lt1s have a problem with the stock gasket..mine leaked but i fixed it no bit problem...

Quick Reply: Oil leaking somewhere?