LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LTs this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LTs this weekend

hey guys im throwing on a set of LTs on a buddies car a 95 LT1 bird. other then the norm rusty bolts and **** like that what kind of problems can i expect to see. what have you guys seen in the past doing your LTs?
Old 06-23-2009, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
hey guys im throwing on a set of LTs on a buddies car a 95 LT1 bird. other then the norm rusty bolts and **** like that what kind of problems can i expect to see. what have you guys seen in the past doing your LTs?
Well, I have mid-lengths but it's because a few of my buddies have LT's and they love their better flowing exhaust / more power.. However, all 3 of them complain that their headers are too low to the ground and all 3 of them usually hit those large "city *******" or bottom out on speed bumps..

So, thumbs up for increased performance.. Thumbs down for damaging their headers from everyday driving.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It solely depends on the type of headers you pick up, regarding ground clearance. My LPPs tuck up quite nicely, but my Hookers with the 3-bolt collectors hung down fairly low. If you can, use slip-fit connectors to regain ground clearance that 3-bolt collectors use.

The oil dipstick may be a troublesome part for you, but it's only held in by one bolt.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is no where close to what i was looking for lol. im asking while installing them has anyone had and serious problems or have any tips on installing them. i know overall they will be a better exhaust setup and they run low thats a given but im asking about advice for installation lol
Old 06-23-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
It solely depends on the type of headers you pick up, regarding ground clearance. My LPPs tuck up quite nicely, but my Hookers with the 3-bolt collectors hung down fairly low. If you can, use slip-fit connectors to regain ground clearance that 3-bolt collectors use.

The oil dipstick may be a troublesome part for you, but it's only held in by one bolt.

the guy picked pacesetters. im not worried about Ground Clearance but again the problems that arise during install.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:56 AM
TECH Regular

You will have to get the car a good 2 feet off the ground, and remove the driverside motor mount bolt, jack the engine up as far as possible. the drivers side LT goes in from the bottom.
Once thats in, let the motor down and replace the motor mount bolt. then remove the passenger side motor mount bolt, and the valve cover. Jack the engine up again and that LT goes in from the top.

I have the pacesetters, and have had absolutely no issues with ground clearance, they tuck very nicely. just take your time removing the manifold bolts, they can be difficult, and you dont want to muff the heads. The install really isnt that bad, its just time consuming. You may also need to remove the starter. Its probably a 2 case job!
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Teching In

This is actually very useful to me as well, as I'm putting a pair of Hooker LTs on my '94 this Thursday.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

You may or may not have to lift the engine, i didn't, but my motor mounts were changed at one time, i installed the PSetters with Ory, it really wasn't that hard, just time consumeing, jack the car up ALL around as HIGH as possible (but being safe on stands), the higher the better, you will have to disconnect the steering shaft & lay it aside, may have to take off the oil filter too, pull the starter, dip stick tube.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

if the motor mounts have not been changed i would look into a set. My hooker headers were a very tight fit due to having bad motor mounts. It also hit on the drivers side k-member when the factory motor mounts were in. i also had to remove my oil filter, dipstick,steering shaft, and starter. Dont forget to get rear O2 extensions unless you are planning on removing the rear O2 sensors.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As stated, get the car up high! I used a pair of 7-ton jack stands.
Also as stated, replace the motor mounts while you are at it.
What ever is in your way of slipping the headers in easily, remove it (starter, steering knuckle, etc.).
PB blaster helps a lot, soak the header bolts over night.
I always install the LT's from the bottom.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so just an over view. pull the starter steering knuckle dipstick and oil filter. and possibly motor mounts? anything else people?
Old 06-24-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
What ever is in your way of slipping the headers in easily, remove it (starter, steering knuckle, etc.).
Old 06-24-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so just an over view. pull the starter steering knuckle dipstick and oil filter. and possibly motor mounts? anything else people?
new plugs and wires and watch out for the coolant sensor on the driver side or you will break it if you remove the coolant sensor coolant will poor out so have a bucket ready everything else is pretty straight forward from there
Old 06-27-2009, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
x2^
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so i finished in one day and all i have to say is **** PACESETTER LONG TUBES!!!! why do i have to beat the **** out of one of the primary tubes because its hitting the k-member and the floor board and would line up right. and i dropped both of them through the top because i didnt have a lift and they fell right in once i lifted the motor up. i will never ever recommend anyone to or will i ever buy a product from pacesetter ever again. i thought my mid tubes i put on my car were just a fluke but two sets of headers and major problems with them. extremely upset with the quality of parts from pacesetter. when i calm down ( and its 2 days after the install now lol) i will give you guys a run down of everything. but thankyou all for your advice
Old 06-29-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

ok so i finished in one day and all i have to say is **** PACESETTER LONG TUBES!!!! why do i have to beat the **** out of one of the primary tubes because its hitting the k-member and the floor board and would line up right. and i dropped both of them through the top because i didnt have a lift and they fell right in once i lifted the motor up. i will never ever recommend anyone to or will i ever buy a product from pacesetter ever again. i thought my mid tubes i put on my car were just a fluke but two sets of headers and major problems with them. extremely upset with the quality of parts from pacesetter. when i calm down ( and its 2 days after the install now lol) i will give you guys a run down of everything. but thankyou all for your advice
My Pacesetter LT headers went in like a breeze from the bottom. They fit like a glove and tuck up very nicely. Even for my slammed car, the ground clearance is good. Sounds to me like you have another issue.
Did you replace your motor mounts?
Old 06-29-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some people have found blown motor mounts while doing header swaps and the lt's will hit the frame unless they replace it

also make sure to soak the manifold bolts with pb blaster overnight
Old 06-29-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Motor mounts.

Quick Reply: LTs this weekend