LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Different key/column than what car came with. Will there be a problem?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different key/column than what car came with. Will there be a problem?

I am getting a steering column and a key from a friends parts car (used to be mine) tomorrow to put into my car since my key got stuck in my column and it broke.. Will I have a problem starting the car? I bypassed VATS a year ago but the security light still comes on. Is there any way I can completely remove VATS?
Old 07-02-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, you can completely remove it. You must bypass the TDR and either tune out the need for the fuel enable signal to the computer or use a bypass module to do the same.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shbox
Yes, you can completely remove it. You must bypass the TDR and either tune out the need for the fuel enable signal to the computer or use a bypass module to do the same.
\=

If you ever get a chance, can you PM me more detailed instructions? That would be greatly appreciated. I can't do the tuning thing (I don't have the equipment nor does anyone I know)
Old 07-03-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1badzee
\=

If you ever get a chance, can you PM me more detailed instructions? That would be greatly appreciated. I can't do the tuning thing (I don't have the equipment nor does anyone I know)
Info is on my website. http://shbox.com/1/pass_key.html
Old 07-03-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Thank you. I got the part about bypassing the TDR, but where would I get a bypass module for the TDM? Also it mentions that the TDM is located in the body control module - if I remember correctly, the 93's didn't have BCM's. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Quick Reply: Different key/column than what car came with. Will there be a problem?