LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Pulled the Engine out..

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Default Pulled the Engine out..

I see that every now and then there is a thread on pulling it out the top or dropping it out the bottom.. I yanked it out the top and it came out pretty easily. It took a little but longer, but it wasn't that bad.

I took off the Exhaust, pulled the Radiator out, disconnected the drivetrain, took the front-end completely off, and then pulled it with a Cherry Picker.

This is the only pic I got..the camera died.

Overall it wasn't that bad..it came out complete with the T56 pretty easily.

Last edited by the_merv; 07-04-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Next time you can pull out EVERYTHING out the bottom. You don't have to remove a thing. The complete engine, Headers, trans, wire harness, and PCM will drop out like a charm. Trust me. I've done it both ways. I will never pull the engine out the top again. I even have the happy hooker tool (it does work) and I still won't go out the top.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to pull my engine, but just from pictures it just looks easier to drop the whole front suspension with the engine and trans...
Old 07-04-2009, 12:26 PM
11 Second Club

This is my first time going out the top..I've done it plenty of times out the bottom. I didn't have access to a lift this time so I guess it's work with what you got.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm dreading the day I'll have to pull my engine. But then that's the day I sell my car as a roller and pick up a firebird roller to put an LSX in!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by the_merv
This is my first time going out the top..I've done it plenty of times out the bottom. I didn't have access to a lift this time so I guess it's work with what you got.
You don't necessarily need a lift. You can use a pair (or just one if you have to) of floor jacks and a pair of 7-ton jack stands. I set the rear tires on ramps. Have my buddy and I go up on the body on each side in equal incriments. Once we max out the jacks we set the body on the huge jack stands. Then a 4x4 block on top of the jacks will allow the car to be jacked up high enough to sit on the stands maxed out. Now the car will be high enough to roll the engine and trans out on a dolly.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:35 PM
TECH Veteran

i pulled it out the top in less than 6hrs before its very easy but if your doing more things you might as well drop the cradle with everything, i was pissed after pulling the engine anyway cuz after the engine was pulled the customer says o yea btw pull the trans and frame anyway i have a bmr frame and new trans.....
Old 07-04-2009, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You don't necessarily need a lift. You can use a pair (or just one if you have to) of floor jacks and a pair of 7-ton jack stands. I set the rear tires on ramps. Have my buddy and I go up on the body on each side in equal incriments. Once we max out the jacks we set the body on the huge jack stands. Then a 4x4 block on top of the jacks will allow the car to be jacked up high enough to sit on the stands maxed out. Now the car will be high enough to roll the engine and trans out on a dolly.
I've seen it done that way..I guess what it comes down to is how much work you want to put into it. A benefit I have at the moment is that I don't have to bleed my Brakes.
Originally Posted by robsquikz28
i pulled it out the top in less than 6hrs before its very easy but if your doing more things you might as well drop the cradle with everything, i was pissed after pulling the engine anyway cuz after the engine was pulled the customer says o yea btw pull the trans and frame anyway i have a bmr frame and new trans.....
I'd be pissed. It took about 3 and a half hours total, I did the Exhaust, Radiator and things like that on my own, a couple of friends came over to help with pulling the Engine. Plus I have air tools so that helps.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Every time I see this topic I have to read it . I've done it both ways and to make the story short here's my opnion :

First off, If you don't have a lift and a way to lift the car high enough, pulling it from the top is your ONLY option weather you want it or not.

If you DO have a lift or a way to lift the car high enough, then you BETTER pull it out of the bottom because it WILL save you a LOT of time and work compared to the things you need to do to pull it out of the top, picture above proves it .

However, there's a CATCH pulling it out the bottom, it's called POWER STERRING SYSTEM. Thant thing (To me at least) is a ******* bitch to bleed (You also need to bleed the brake system), these two things you SAVE by pulling it out of the top.

So, in few words, if you don't have a problem bleeding the power steering system and you have a lift, then don't even think about the top.
If you never bled a power steering system on LT1s, do yourself a favor, yes work extra 5 hours just to pull it out the top.

I will NEVER do it from the bottom again JUST because of the power steering and prefer working many extra hours like an idiot taking many parts off that I wouldn't have to take off doing it from the bottom ,just to save that steering hassle.

Good luck.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've seen it done that way..I guess what it comes down to is how much work you want to put into it. A benefit I have at the moment is that I don't have to bleed my Brakes.

I'd be pissed. It took about 3 and a half hours total, I did the Exhaust, Radiator and things like that on my own, a couple of friends came over to help with pulling the Engine. Plus I have air tools so that helps.
The highlighted words are critical when it comes to pulling the engine out , if you don't have FRIENDS to help, you'll be cussing GM nonstop trying to pull AND INSTALL it back in through the top, so you wanna think twice if you're all by yourself.

The other critical thing you mentioned is BLEEDING , it isn't as hard bleeding the brakes as the ******* POWER STEERING as I mentioned before, so doing it from the top will save you both these two things, but will add extra hours compared to pulling it from the bottom.

Adam
Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took it out the bottom with NO lift only using ramps, jackstands, cherr picker (to lift the front end up high) and wooden blocks.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Who's having to bleed the power steering system?
If you disconnect the steering knuckle and unbolt your power steering resevoir, you shouldn't be lossing any fluid, hence no need to bleed the power steering. And as far as the brakes go, get your self a mighty vac and bleeding takes minutes...
Then you will be sure to take it out of the bottom EVERYTIME from then on.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:05 PM
LT1
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I perfer doing it out the top. ive done it both ways when i worked at Chevy dealer.

Why is the engine coming out Merv?
Old 07-04-2009, 07:10 PM
TECH Regular

I did mine out the top. Dont think Ill ever drop the it out the bottom.
Old 07-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by blake110106
I did mine out the top. Dont think Ill ever drop the it out the bottom.
same
Old 07-04-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Did mine out the bottom (by myself) with only a floor jack. No lift, no cherry picker needed. I've done plenty of out the top pulls on other cars in my life. This seemed plenty easy to me. No problems with the power steering and none with the brakes. I don't know what all the hubub is about that.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LT1
Why is the engine coming out Merv?
I have to bore it and get new Pistons..I have alot of Piston Rock and the Rings never seated.

As far as the Power Steering goes..just un-bolt it from the Engine and leave it with the Car. They both are easy..the LT1 one is actually easier..the LS one you will ned a Pully-Puller.

I also tore down my T56 today..that's really not that bad to do.

Last edited by the_merv; 07-05-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out the bottom, everything in one piece. 4 jack stands and a cherry picker. Took 6 hours (first time).
Old 07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Who's having to bleed the power steering system?
If you disconnect the steering knuckle and unbolt your power steering resevoir, you shouldn't be lossing any fluid, hence no need to bleed the power steering. And as far as the brakes go, get your self a mighty vac and bleeding takes minutes...
Then you will be sure to take it out of the bottom EVERYTIME from then on.
Hmmmm, I'm gonna have to I agree with you AS LONG as you can keep the PS pump on the accessory bracket, in my case I HAD to disconnect the power steering that time to replace the entire engine, how can you take the power steering pump OFF the bracket WITHOUT disconnecting one of the lines when the the short block needs to be replaced?

Not arguing , just trying to get tips from you because if I know the "trick" of keeping the power steering connected at ALL TIME even when there's a need to replace the short block (On which the accessory bracket bolt onto) then I'll do everytime from the bottom...

Adam
Old 07-05-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have to bore it and get new Pistons..I have alot of Piston Rock and the Rings never seated.

As far as the Power Steering goes..just un-bolt it from the Engine and leave it with the Car. They both are easy..the LT1 one is actually easier..the LS one you will ned a Pully-Puller.

I also tore down my T56 today..that's really not that bad to do.
To keep it with the car (Which I did few times) you have to take it off the bracket, and to take it off the bracket WITHOUT disconnecting one of the lines to it you have to KINDA BEND the feeding line a little to take it off the bracket and leave it with the car. Is that how you did it? Just trying to learn for next time.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Pulled the Engine out..