LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power steering

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Power steering

I'm having a issue here with my power steering. The car was completely fine, went maybe two miles with it. Got food, got back in it and went about another mile. Making a left hand turn the power steering was gone and then came back. I turned into the driveway fine and then when I went to park the car it gave me issues again. So it seems to be intermittent. Fluid is at the cold mark, I drove the car maybe 5 minutes.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any signs that the belt is slipping? bad pump maybe? I think SHbox has a "how to" for draining/flushing/refilling the PS system... Could give that a shot too.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by hyperzone
Any signs that the belt is slipping? bad pump maybe? I think SHbox has a "how to" for draining/flushing/refilling the PS system... Could give that a shot too.

Shoebox is awesome! His site is a definate must have for anyone working on Lt1 cars.
Old 07-05-2009, 02:01 AM
TECH Regular

same thing happened to me once. I figured out I forgot to put one of the clamps on the water pump back on and a bit of coolant came out and fell on the belt causing it to slip. I doubt that's it but it would be wise to check the belts anyway
Old 07-05-2009, 06:01 AM
TECH Junkie

So I may not hear the belt slipping but that could also be happening? Alright I'll check to make sure I'm not loosing coolant somewhere also then.

Yeah when I did my motor swap I unhooked one of the PS hoses, and I guess I just refilled to the proper level and didn't bleed it, but that was 9 months ago or so? I suppose I'll try to bleed it also.

Hopefully the pump isn't going out, car does have over 178k on it now though. I have no idea what the life expectancy is on parts.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Yeah when I did my motor swap I unhooked one of the PS hoses, and I guess I just refilled to the proper level and didn't bleed it, but that was 9 months ago or so? I suppose I'll try to bleed it also.

Hopefully the pump isn't going out, car does have over 178k on it now though. I have no idea what the life expectancy is on parts.
Dont really need to "bleed it" but, when you refill the PS from nothing you need to fill the resevoir and then turn the wheels from lock to lock a few times and then recheck the level and do it again if needed. I think SHbox mentions a method of doing this also. Hopefully you weren't way low on PS fluid this whole time... if you were low on PS fluid you would have been hearing it whining. Is/was that the case?
Old 07-05-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Yeah it wasn't whining, it doesn't look like its low on fluid either, it was on the cold mark when I checked the fluid level, I drove the car maybe 5 minutes combined on the drive I took, it stated acting weird on the way back.

Yeah I'm not sure on the bleeding either as I said I lost some fluid a while back when I did my motor swap but it hadn't given me any issues, I had just refilled to the proper level.
Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Alright I'm really hoping its a slipping belt! Looks like I have a coolant hose leaking, the one that goes into the thermostat housing. Wasn't blatantly obvious the other day but I just came back from a drive and its leaking all sorts of noticeable today.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i did my pump i bled it by turning the wheel lock to lock 30 times... it got all the air out.

coolant and belts are not very good friends!

Quick Reply: Power steering