LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Best Spark Plug Replacement Method?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best Spark Plug Replacement Method?

I just barely got into this car not a week ago and I can already see two issues that need to be fixed before I can get it rolling around more consistently. The first is a tranny that just has 1-2. Im going to probably throw another 60e in it until I build my th350 up.

The second and more pressing issue is the erradic starting and random dying of the car. Im willing to bet my next paycheck that it has the stock plugs, wires, and opti on it.

So that being said, I am brand new to LT1s. What is the best way to go about replacing spark plugs, wires, and the opti. Ive heard time wise its anywhere from 6 hours to a whole weekend to do them all. Im hoping this is not the case.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by BSmiff
I just barely got into this car not a week ago and I can already see two issues that need to be fixed before I can get it rolling around more consistently. The first is a tranny that just has 1-2. Im going to probably throw another 60e in it until I build my th350 up.

The second and more pressing issue is the erradic starting and random dying of the car. Im willing to bet my next paycheck that it has the stock plugs, wires, and opti on it.

So that being said, I am brand new to LT1s. What is the best way to go about replacing spark plugs, wires, and the opti. Ive heard time wise its anywhere from 6 hours to a whole weekend to do them all. Im hoping this is not the case.
It would take me ~3 hours to change all the plugs, wires, coil, and opti.

For your first time I would probably double that time. Take your time. It should never take a whole weekend. You need a nice swivel head socket. a 3" ext, a spark plug socket and determination, lol. Some plugs are easier to get to from the bottom, some are easier to get to from the top. You have to look at all the angles...
It's not fun, but not difficult.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Alright. Ill try to tackle that one asap. Im pretty sure thats my problem with the difficulty starting. It will sit and just keep turning over and over and over with my foot all the way to the floor. The smell of raw gas slowly engulfing the rear of the car.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll give it to you straight, and it ain't pretty.....

I've done this a couple of times, and unless you have little, dainty, "girlie hands", changing plugs isn't easy on an LT1 in a Camaro or Firebird. Although it sounds really difficult, I pull the "Y" pipe up to the cat next to the tranny, and at that point all the plugs except for #2 practically change themselves, working from the bottom. Cylinder #2's is tucked in and around the A/C and power steering lines, and is a "work by feel" job. In my case, however, my car was never winter driven, and the first time I did the job, the car was only 5-6 years old, so none of the nuts and bolts were very rusty.

I've changed my plug wires twice in the 14 years I've had the car. The factory shop manual says to pull the power steering pump. The first time, I thought I knew better, and just loosened the pump, and struggled to get the wires through the wire loom that's behind the pump. The second time, I did remove the pump, and it made it a LOT easier. Use a "crowsfoot" tool on a 3/8 ratchet and long extension to take the pressure line off...IIRC it's either a 15 or 16 MM hex. You get the pump off the bracket by accessing the 2 10MM hex bolts through the two holes in the pump's pulley.

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I never had to remove the PS or y-pipe. If it will make it easier for you, than go ahead. For me it wasn't necessary.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Well if i dont have to then im obviously not going to do it. I have thin hands but they are rather lengthy if that makes a difference. This is going to be the ride of a lifetime lol.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

while ur in there mine as well do some longtubes to make it easier next time lol
Old 07-08-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i deleted the ac on my old formula, the 2 plugs in the front of the engine on the pass side wereee sooo easy from the bottom... with the AC in it, it sucked!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Junkie

headers lol
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ThoR294
when i deleted the ac on my old formula, the 2 plugs in the front of the engine on the pass side wereee sooo easy from the bottom... with the AC in it, it sucked!!!
Yep, no AC here either, plus I have long tubes . But I have done a plug/wire/coil/opti swap on a stock manifold, AC car many times.
Old 07-09-2009, 02:42 AM
Teching In

A cut down spark plug socket that accepts a box / open end wrench makes a world of difference. You can buy them already cut down on ebay. Once you change the plugs wires and opti a few times, you will develop a good system. Its really not that bad. Plan a saturday if you havent done it.

Its getting to know your car!!
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I never had to remove the PS or y-pipe. If it will make it easier for you, than go ahead. For me it wasn't necessary.
I did get the first set of plug wires in without pulling the PS pump, but it wasn't easy.....
Old 07-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

I have no idea about a single cat exhaust system, but for '96/'97 dual cat cars I always had success getting all passenger plugs out from the top and 1, 3 from the top and 5, 7 out from the bottom.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

single cat (94 formy) i did all from the bottom... with the ac lines out
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
+1

Don't drop the Y-pipe. Odds are you are going to break a bolt...regardless of how much PB Blaster you use. Drop the starter instead. Makes most of the passenger side much easier...from my own personal experience (Twice now on a non-header setup).
Old 07-09-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yoga lessons.

I did them and it took a while, but the only thing that I would remove would be the dipstick tube. My arms had exhaust manifold part numbers embedded in them, but it wasn't terrible.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:43 PM

^ X2. I had a lot of trouble with 6 (?) because of it.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys I appreciate all the help. I searched and found a bunch of n00bs just like myself having the same inquiry. Hope it goes smooth and I dont embed myself in the engine bay somewhere.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Resident

swap to longtubes, then change them. LOL.

So much more easy w/ longtubes.
Old 07-10-2009, 05:34 PM
12 Second Club

I have smaller hands I guess because a plug change is 30-45 min depending on how hot it is and how many times i stop and go back inside.

Opti takes me 1 hour to 1.5 again with heat and going inside. Its not too bad but the Air and other items do tend to get in the way so they should go in the trash.... lol

Coil and ICM should not take more than 10 min its just 2 plugs and 2 bolts to get the bracket with them off.

I found that for the tight plugs using a shorter Spark Plug socket I got at Autozone and my ratcheting 19mm makes life easy. I still have too do 2 from the bottom but I do not have to remove anything.

On the others I use my socket wrench and socket works fine.

I have to say though I have never done it on stock logs, I would refuse to lol.

Quick Reply: Best Spark Plug Replacement Method?