LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

need help quick

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help quick

okay i posted a post on a build a while back for my 93 formula well my block was ruined so i bought a whole motor from a fleetwood a 94 well the people who had my car before me had already pulled the motor and beat it with a hammer and shattered the timing cover is the timing cover from a 94 fleetwood or 95 i think it was a 94 different than a f bodys or did they change because i seen another lt1 apart out of a camaro and somthing was different about tthe timing cover but i dont remember what it was now i think it was something with the waterpump or optispark but my block crank and heads are all ready at the machine shop im getting them in the morning i bought a rebuild kit from summit with forged pistons have to use the stock cast ironheads for now but thats good for me but i need to know about this asap also i would like to get rid of all this smog crap anyone done that before? and does it mess with the computer ive done it on a TPI car (3rd gen) which is what i mainly own and build so im use to those so sorry if i sound like a retard but i want to make this right first shot and id like to ditch the smog and know if anyone knows about the timing cover sorry for the long run on any info would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Teching In

phheew take a breather
Old 07-09-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Is it an LT1 block? The difference in the timing cover is there are two extra holes. One is for the water pump drive, the other (bigger one) is for the opti.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 AM

yes its an LT1 its out of a 94 or 95 cadilac fleetwood i bought it pulled it apart took it to the machine shop had a vlave job done on my heads and new seals installed the cylinders hadnt wore a bit so i had it honed i had the crank turned ten thousands had the block boiled and new cam bearings installed i ordered a rebuild kit with new pistons i took my pistons to them today theyre pressing them on the rods im going to pick it up in the morning but im pulling all the stuff out getting it ready to put together once i get it on the stand and idk if the timing cover from the fleetwood is different from the firebird and i dont have it to compare and i just dont want to get it all together get it in there to find the covers different and have to pull it back out to change it
Old 07-09-2009, 12:13 AM
On The Tree

well thie timing covers did change. its 1993-1994 where the the optispark is driven by a spline shaft. the new covers (1995 and up) have a big hole and use a pin to drive the optispark. the water pump drive is unchanged. all you would need to do is get another optispark with the vents if you plan on using the same chain and drive set up as the one found in that motor you pulled out of that fleetwood. just make sure you get a distributor that is not driven by a splined shaft.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

or do you plan on using the timing chain found in you firebird lt-1?
Old 07-09-2009, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Guys, a little punctuation would go a long ways to making your posts readable.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Guys, a little punctuation would go a long ways to making your posts readable.
I'd have to agree, as after the second line I just stop reading.

Quick Reply: need help quick