LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Going to the track 2nite...help

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the track 2nite...help

Only problem is 1) I've never been to the track 2) My rear main is leaking and I get a drop or two an hour 3) I was looking at the ET quick reference guide and I don't know what it is going to run but I don't want to get there and not be prepared...1 1/2 hour drive. So my question is do they do a tech inspection on everyone and can they not let me run because of the drip and what exactly do they mean by protective clothing? Jeans and a long sleeve shirt? It is hot as ***** in the valley and I do not feel like sitting in a black on black car wearing a f-ing turtleneck. I was going to fix the leak and get some drag slicks and the electric cutout and a torque arm and the list goes on forever, if I waited to do everything that I wanted to do before I ran it I would never get to see the track so I said f it I am going tonight but I don't want to drive all the way down there to get turned around for something stupid.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

At our local track you must wear pants and a t-shirt at minimum you should be fine with the small oil leak Depends on how strict the tech guys there are. Hear they basically walk around your car and make sure your battery is properly secured.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

no open toe shoes or sleevless shirts (wife beater) and wear long pants.

Your rear main (if it is in fact from there) will not be a issue. battery hold down, coolant recovery tank, no broken wheel lugs and having a brake pedal not go to the floor if pressed will be what they look for.

If you run faster than 14.0 than you will need a rated helmet

If you run slicks tech will want to see a drive shaft safety loop. It all comes down to the tech inspection and how **** they want to be

in your case you should be fine

have fun
Old 07-10-2009, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Yep,,black car ,helmet on,sitting & waiting,,lots of fun. but I do it almost every sat. Good Luck and have fun.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ******
no open toe shoes or sleevless shirts (wife beater) and wear long pants.

Your rear main (if it is in fact from there) will not be a issue. battery hold down, coolant recovery tank, no broken wheel lugs and having a brake pedal not go to the floor if pressed will be what they look for.

If you run faster than 14.0 than you will need a rated helmet

If you run slicks tech will want to see a drive shaft safety loop. It all comes down to the tech inspection and how **** they want to be

in your case you should be fine

have fun
Heck, they didn't even go that in-depth on my extended tech at the beginning of the year. They just made sure the battery was secure, and that I had a DOT/Snell approved helmet. The rest was just basic questions. Also, OP, if you have t-tops, you have to wear a helmet whether or not you're running faster than 14.00.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, just got back from the track and I am a little disappointed but there was not much traction out there tonight, at least not for me on street tires. The best I did was a 13.809 at 104.69 with a 2.525 60 foot. I pretty much spun all through 1st gear. I was hoping for somewhere in the 12s with a 110-115 trap speed but I don't know if I will get there just by adding some drag tires?? I don't know exactly where to go next but I know that I need to cut down that 60, mods in sig suggestions would be appreciated,
Old 07-11-2009, 03:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Well, just got back from the track and I am a little disappointed but there was not much traction out there tonight, at least not for me on street tires. The best I did was a 13.809 at 104.69 with a 2.525 60 foot. I pretty much spun all through 1st gear. I was hoping for somewhere in the 12s with a 110-115 trap speed but I don't know if I will get there just by adding some drag tires?? I don't know exactly where to go next but I know that I need to cut down that 60, mods in sig suggestions would be appreciated,
2.5 short time... !!!!!!

thats absolutely horrible man... you should be doing about a 1.7-1.8 pretty consistently.. which will put you in the 12s..
converter+no sticky tires=

get tires!

buy an extra set of radials and a cheap *** set of salad shooters or something.. take them with you and change at the track.. or run them down there.. whatever.. i change at the track..

nice times for the short though!

did you have fun?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:43 AM
12 Second Club

Get some MT DRs...UMI LCAs...rear shocks ?...get that 60 down. You should be getting 1.7-1.8 60s , put you in the 12s
Old 07-11-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a great time at the track but now I think I have the bug and all I want to do is go faster. I was afraid to put slicks on because I can't afford to replace a rear end if my 10 bolt craps but I am not going to get good 60s on street tires, any thought on torque arms?? Do they help plant those tires enough to justify the cost?
Old 07-11-2009, 01:18 PM
TECH Resident

You shouldnt be in danger of ripping the 10 bolt out if you dont transbrake it. Seeing how you dont have one, you should be ok for the time being.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a great time at the track but now I think I have the bug and all I want to do is go faster. I was afraid to put slicks on because I can't afford to replace a rear end if my 10 bolt craps but I am not going to get good 60s on street tires, any thought on torque arms?? Do they help plant those tires enough to justify the cost?
i went to the track last night also.. cut 1.5 shorts on motor with slicks.. stock 10 bolt with 373s..
my last white one also ran consistent 1.5s (lifting the tires and then spinning when it unloaded).. stock 10 bolt with 410s..

does this mean yours will last? no... but it does mean that they are stronger than people give credit for..
i have had buddies spray H/C with 200 shots cutting low 1.4s and be ok on stock 10 bolt..

hell, if it goes you can get another one for like 150-200 bucks and just dont do hard launches anymore..

Originally Posted by BSmiff
You shouldnt be in danger of ripping the 10 bolt out if you dont transbrake it. Seeing how you dont have one, you should be ok for the time being.

you can destoy a 10 bolt without a transbrake...
Old 07-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Staging Lane

at my local track i wear flip flops and have my t tops off lol

i love being a redneck.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought the 10-Bolt was good up to like 400hp with an auto.

Maybe that was just some wishful thinking.
Old 07-12-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I thought the 10-Bolt was good up to like 400hp with an auto.

Maybe that was just some wishful thinking.
i made over 400 with my last setup and my current setup.. both stock rears.. one with 410s one with 373s.. both with girdles...

knock on wood, no problems yet!

Quick Reply: Going to the track 2nite...help