LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Idle issue...or something...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Idle issue...or something...

So in the past few days, I got my car running. I put on some rebuilt heads, stock intake, stock cam, but roller rockers, headers, and all the other bolt ons. I had a tune done by Trifecta, and when I fired the car up, it idled at 1500 rpms. I had it running for maybe a half hour, bleeding the coolant system, check the fan operation, and things of that nature, and the idle never budged. The next day was the same thing, idle never budged. Today while I was at work, my father turned the idle set screw down and it went to 1200 rpms.

I went out to check the TPS voltage, which was right at .65, I started pulling and capping vac lines, messing with the intake, the MAF, and anything that could cause a vac leak, and nothing made any changes. I go to take a ****, since I'm by the woods, I went to walk to my favorite tree, and just as I unzipped, the idle dropped to about 850. It now idles rock solid at 850 rpms. I didn't touch anything at that point, change anything, I can't figure it out.

Could this be the computer possibly "learning"?
Old 07-11-2009, 12:51 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isnt a lower idle supposed to be a good thing?
Old 07-11-2009, 04:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yes it was learning. when you unplug the battery for an extended amount of time, your computer needs to relearn how to idle
Old 07-11-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SlideRight
Isnt a lower idle supposed to be a good thing?
Yes, it's a good thing. I just don't like when the car fixes itself, because you never know the problem, or how it was solved.

Quick Reply: Idle issue...or something...