LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

2 coolant system questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 coolant system questions

1st off i have a set of AFR 227's on my 383 i bought already built. The drivers side head has a empty hole for a sensor towards the front of the head behind the first primary. the pass side head already has a sensor toward the back of the head im guessing it's the coolant temp sensor. what is the one on the driver side for?

secondly when i got the motor it had both coolant holes in the back of the head plugged instead of the stock crossover setup. do i need the crossover? if so i do i go about re routing it? crossover then a line to the radiator off of it.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:16 PM
Teching In

The passenger side hole was meant for a fan switch. It heats up completes a ground, viola, fans on. It is a TPI used method.

The driver side is the dedicated side for the coolant temp sender. (gauges not ECM)

Last, I recommend the cross over.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nelapse
The passenger side hole was meant for a fan switch. It heats up completes a ground, viola, fans on. It is a TPI used method.

The driver side is the dedicated side for the coolant temp sender. (gauges not ECM)

Last, I recommend the cross over.
awesome thanks for the help. just did some searching and found the driver side hole is ECT sensor for the temp gauge. couldnt find the driver side.

also checked on the crossover going to pick one up from the dealer soon.

Thanks man big help
Old 07-12-2009, 05:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by lt1badbird
awesome thanks for the help. just did some searching and found the driver side hole is ECT sensor for the temp gauge. couldnt find the driver side.

also checked on the crossover going to pick one up from the dealer soon.

Thanks man big help
Yours is an 'F' Body, right? Reason I ask is the driver's side hole on my 96 Vette is simply plugged; nothing goes there.

I also suspect your steam vent tubing is routed differently too. Mine runs down the passenger side of the intake then makes a 90 degree turn and goes into the lower TB hose bib.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 07-12-2009, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yes mine is in a T/A. i bought the motor from a guy using it in a vette so that could explain not having a sensor in the driver side hole.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The heads are exactly the same right to left. On one side you use the temp sender for the dash, the other side gets plugged. The only reason there is a hole in the second head is because they are the same, not right/left specific.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wow so Im an idiot and also just realized i Fu*ked up.

I stood a griffen radiator vertical and welded an fittings to my water pump and did my coolant system is braided line and AN fittings. I ran the thermostat housing to the top of the radiator and the right side outlet to the bottom of the radiator

Quick Reply: 2 coolant system questions