LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

coolant fans wont work

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant fans wont work

hey guys i have a 97 z mods in Sig but a couple of weeks ago i was in the drive thru and i blew my top hose so i limp it home after patching the hose since it was 10:30 at night and all the part stores was close i went to walmart got some duct tape and patched it so i luckily had no problems overheating back home i replaced all the hoses, thermostat, and flushed the cooling system and refilled then i started the car and the cooling fans wouldn't come on so i thought a relay changed all of them still nothing but when i turned the a/c on both came on so i replaced the coolant temp sensor, and temp switch next still nothing and i jump wired relay number one and it worked but all relays are good now when the a/c is on nothing none of them work and all fuses are good but i found last night a fuse that said a/p ? fan and it was a 25a and it was shot so i replaced it still nothing
Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

My car did the same thing and a friend of mine's car just did that too. Fans would come on high when the AC was on, but nothing when running normally and the Engine would over-heat. I'm willing to bet that the Fans weren't on when you were in the drivethrough and that's why it popped.

I don't know if it's something in the PCM that goes to **** and stops sending that signal, the only fix to that I have found is to wire in Manual Fan Switches, one for low speed and another for high speed. I've had them on my car for a long time, I just put them in a friends car.

If you want to know how to do it I can explain.

I have the LS setup now and when I get it re-tuned for the 408 I'm going to turn the Fans back on in the PCM, currently I have them off cause I had the manual switches and all the wiring was bypassed cause they went out with the LT1..now it's back to stock so they should work with the LS PCM.

Quick Reply: coolant fans wont work