LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need a few exhaust recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a few exhaust recommendations.

I'm about ready to order my exhaust, going true duals.

So far my plan is;

Summit Racing's universal X-Pipe set up, 2.5in.
Still need cats.
Dynomax Bullet Mufflers
I want to run the exhaust all the way out back to reduce drone, so I need help on tips, I'm thinking rectangle again, just chrome?

This set up needs to be able to pass emissions, my inspection shop probably won't care about true duals, but it will need to pass.

I'm having a hard time finding headers with all the emission crap on them, I would like to get long tubes, some Pacesetters look like they come with all that stuff, but only some sites say so...
Old 07-14-2009, 02:59 PM
Launching!

You pretty much have two choices with headers, all in or all out. LPP is taking a long time, and they aren't fitted for emissions, so that cheaper stainless alternative is out.

You have on the cheap but effective end, Pacesetters. Pacesetters are made from mild steel, you can get them ceramic coated, but they'll rust. They make race versions (without AIR and EGR) and they make emissions friendly versions with AIR and EGR.

Top of the line headers would be the Kooks stainless. They are made of 304 stainless, won't rust (or take forever to!) and come in race and emissions friendly versions also.

If you want to run your own custom exhaust out the back, then you won't need the y-pipe kit. So Pacesetters, with emissions and with coating can be had for 380ish shipped. Kooks go for about 860 plus shipping, so somewhere around 880ish. If you want the Kooks coated (some places do this) you are gonna pay another 200 bucks and wait another 3 or so weeks.

http://marylandspeed.com/kooks-1-34-...0s-p-1076.html

Kooks stainless with emissions...870 shipped.

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...oducts_id=1814

72C2235 is the Pacesetter part number for 95 with emissions. 410 plus 14 bucks shipping so 424.

So basically, you can buy one set of coated Pacesetter that'll rust within a year or two, or spend twice as much on uncoated Kooks. If you have the money might as well go with Kooks.

If you have any more questions, I would call WS6 Store or Maryland Speed and ask them. I've only dealt with WS6 Store and they are great and very quick. I have heard Maryland Speed is just as good. They'll be able to set you up with exactly what you want, if not direct you to where you will find it.

Last edited by trippinholyman; 07-14-2009 at 03:07 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have pacesetters with all of the emissions stuff on them and the fitment was great except for the egr tube was right in the way of my tranny dipstick so I had to heat it up and bend it back towards the firewall. Other than that they are great. As for tips I am partial to Corsa and I have found very good quality stainless steel clones online for good prices.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:09 PM
Launching!

Might want to try Powersticks if you are going duals for that classic sound. Tips are pretty much a matter of preference, if you like the Z28 rectangle tips (I do) then go with those. Otherwise look on Summit or Jegs they have tons of exhaust tips.