LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

so how much does regapping plugs effect tune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default so how much does regapping plugs effect tune?

Well I redid all my plugs and regapped them, I also ajdusted 1 RR since it was loose.
I plan on taking the car to Speedinc to touch up the tune friday for the TDs and since I pulled the MAF screen since it was damaged a bit, and would like it spot on for the current set up.
The thing is when I pulled the plugs one looked oil fouled wich happend to be the same cylinder as the loose rocker. After getting it all back together it seems to be smoking alot. Doesnt smell like burnt oil or antifreeze but more like that eye watering rich as hell smell.
Any ideas????
The plugs were autolite 104s gapped at .045ish and the new plugs are the same 104s but gapped to the specd .035 for my set up.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

heres a vid, I also should mention the new valve covers w/ breathers would that have any effect? Since I pulled the PS hose and capped the TB???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Ez1lnmzs

Last edited by AChotrod; 07-15-2009 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm..Fouled plugs can be anything. Could also be fuel fouled and just look like oil because of the color. Could be because of damaged plug (from the inside) causing it to not fire, could be wire, opti, etc. If oil, it could be your valve stem seals, or your rings could be starting to give out. There are so many variables so it's difficult to pin-point. Just change your plugs like you were planning on and watch it every so often (pull that plug you are concerned about) and examine. Good luck bud!

P.s I just saw that you capped your t/b. Hook up that hose again this time around and see if it helps any
Old 07-15-2009, 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just back track to what you did and see if you missed something. When you adjusted that one rocker, was it at its closed state? Why are you gapping the plugs closer?
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM
TECH Veteran

x2 on what he said ^ and i guess hes gapping closer for NITROUS
Old 07-15-2009, 09:56 PM
11 Second Club

Not gapping for n20, just gapping new plugs to what Lloyd speced for the set up.
I got a SES light so thats why I started looking and found the fouled plug and loose rocker. Im 99% sure the valve was closed when I adusted it. But I also took out the MAF screen did the new valve covers and dig 6 recently. Also has a small intake backfire, b4 and after plug change if you would hit the gas real fast let off then hit it again.
Old 07-15-2009, 10:44 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

sounds like too much fuel....sometimes pulling the maf screen will do that. And with the plugs gapped closer, you may be hurting yourself. I've always followed "as wide as you can". In other words keep them gapped as far as possible until they get blown out. If you were running .045 I would leave it there if the car was running fine. Going closer won't help you any. The more gap you have the more of the mixture you can light and get more of a complete burn. just my .02
Old 07-15-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Not gapping for n20, just gapping new plugs to what Lloyd speced for the set up.
I got a SES light so thats why I started looking and found the fouled plug and loose rocker. Im 99% sure the valve was closed when I adusted it. But I also took out the MAF screen did the new valve covers and dig 6 recently. Also has a small intake backfire, b4 and after plug change if you would hit the gas real fast let off then hit it again.
I would blame descreening the MAF.

It is a very hit or miss mod, and not really worth any power anyway. Its not there to filter debris, it straightens the airflow over the wires to get proper readings. Removing the screen can cause turbulence that can mess with the MAF readings.

Some do it successfully, and others have problems right off the bat.
Old 07-15-2009, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Also has a small intake backfire, b4 and after plug change if you would hit the gas real fast let off then hit it again.
Pretty sure thats a lean tip-in condition. Not sayin your car is running lean the whole time, but it is at that point of throttle tip-in and could be going way rich past that? I would change plugs, keeping them gapped at .45 and get some data logged. you could of cracked a ring since one plug is oil fouled and the car is smokin on decel after revin it up. When valve stem seals leak, normally the car will only smoke on start up.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

I pulled the screen because it got damaged, can you buy just the screen?. And there are brand new plugs in it. Im no tuner but I would think the back fire is from to much fuel? The plugs were dark cardboard brown except one was black and that cylinder had the loose rocker. Other than the smoke and smelling rich as hell it runs good. The backfire only happens once in a while if you blip the trottle a couple times real fast like its loaded up then burns the unburnt fuel??
Its going back for a retune friday
Old 07-16-2009, 12:44 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldnt think it was the screen. I removed the one out of the Z and the highly modded GTP. Had no issues with either.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:41 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

heres a vid, I also should mention the new valve covers w/ breathers would that have any effect? Since I pulled the PS hose and capped the TB???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1A1Ez1lnmzs
That would have no effect on internal oil consumption whatsoever. What you are seeing is oil. Not sure what you are smelling, but that is definitely oil.
Some possibilities are bad intake gasket seal, worn oil rings and/or bad valve seals which could mean the valve guides could also be bad. If you don't think that is oil then you can do a simple oil consumption test and see if it is using more than normal. Just doing a leak down or compression test won't tell you whether or not the oil rings are worn.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:47 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

What gets me wondering is why was the rocker loose??? I'm wondering if that isn't some indicator as to the oil consumption.....It would explain a fuel smell, especially if it were an intake valve, then fuel just kinda pools in the head behind the valve, and eventually all the way to the intake. As for the plugs being black, it really isn't a good sign....
Old 07-16-2009, 10:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

How often do you actually get out and drive the car? unfortunately my car has to sit for months at a time, and it will do what yours is doing until i can get it out and run it. makes it interesting with open headers. good luck, if nothing else i am sure Speedinc can get it right.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:13 AM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by TABBED 5.3
How often do you actually get out and drive the car? unfortunately my car has to sit for months at a time, and it will do what yours is doing until i can get it out and run it. makes it interesting with open headers. good luck, if nothing else i am sure Speedinc can get it right.
That can mean your seals are drying up...
Old 07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

Im no tuner but I would think the back fire is from to much fuel?
Well my tuner must be lyin to me then. when I got my mail order tune from Herter, my car would pop thru the intake if you blipped the throttle. He said that meant it was lean on tip-in. Jph who is a member on here and works for hires high performance said the same. Either way the a black plug does not sound good.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 AM
11 Second Club

No oil smell at all, but the color smoke has me worried.

Kinglt-1 Im not saying your tuner is wrong, it just seems crazy rich & would make me think to much gas causes the back fire.
I dont drive it much at all, mainly to and from the track and once in a while on the street. Last time I actually ran it was the LTXshootout and it didnt have any smoke then, the smoke seems to have just started after the recent changes. I took the car for a ride down the street and couldnt see any smoke while driving and seems to run good.
I also had 2 other people watch and smell it and the said it doesnt smell like oil at all smells rich as hell and is eye watering.
While checking the rockers oil got on the headers and it smelled completely like burnt oil,just like any other time you smell burrt oil, the exhaust smoke doesnt smell like that.

The only reason I was think it could possibly be the New VCs is the crank case my be building to much pressure, but i would figure the breathers would of cured that. I dunno?
I agree the black plug has got me concerned a bit. Ill post pics of the old plugs.
If it were a valve seal wouldnt it smoke all the time? If its a ring ill just swap in my 355.
Only thing that sucks, like said above it there is no real way to tell which it is by a leak down test and I rather kill this motor b4 I swap in the 355.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:02 AM
Village Troll

If two breathers like that cannot handle normal blow-by then there are some serious problems with your setup. When valve seals are bad you will see smoke at start up and during deceleration (TB blades closed/when the engine is under the most vacuum).
This is only one of many possibilities...
Old 07-16-2009, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Heres the old plugs. I noticed on one of the breather gromets its a baffled gromet and didnt even have the baffle area punched out just a small tear so not sure if it was even working. Then it was to late to start the car. Neighbors called the cops the last time. lol
Old 07-16-2009, 11:22 AM
duh
TECH Fanatic

That's a fuel soaked plug, was the loose rocker intake or exhaust? Good new is your motor doesn't look done just yet

Quick Reply: so how much does regapping plugs effect tune?