LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Valvetrain just got real noisy

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Valvetrain just got real noisy

Yesterday about a half mile from work by car started ticking really bad, almost like and exhaust leak. So, i limped it to work and let it cool down. I started it up and determined that it was coming from under the valve cover, so i shut it off, and pulled the valve cover. None of the rocker arms were off, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. So, i start it up to see whats going on, and the noise is gone. Almost like a lifter collapsed, but then pumped back up. So, after work i start the car up, everything seems fine, and i start driving home. At first everything seems fine, but after about a mile or so, i notice that that valvetrain on the drivers side (same side as before) is being noiser than usual. Not nearly as bad as the morning, but definately louder than normal. I have 45psi oil pressure at hot idle, but i cant really tell if the rockers are getting oil or not. Any suggestions?
Old 07-18-2009, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like some kind of material went through a lifter dirt, oil deposit. I would go buy so Rislone and add to the oil. If that is all it was the noise should go away completely I actually run this stuff regularly with oil changes to keep deposits to a minimum it is good stuff
http://www.rislone.ca/34100.htm
Old 07-21-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

c'mon guys any more possibilities?
Old 07-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Possible exhaust leak. Put the car in a high gear and accelerate. If the noise becomes louder then it's an exhaust leak.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they are Comp Cams Comp-R lifters it could just be that they refuse to pump up. I am replacing a set myself (going with the LS7 lifters) as I have the same issue. Like 2-3 lifters, at various times, refuse to pump up. When they are the engine is smooth, quiet, great power, no complaints. When they don't, it is loud, rougher, and low on power.

Quick Reply: Valvetrain just got real noisy