LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 lt1 into a 97...

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 lt1 into a 97...

it's a 97 camaro, bought it with a bad engine (seized) because we had a 94 in the garage. we took the old one out and put the new one in only to find that the 94 didn't have a crank position sensor...

We took it all apart down to the timing chain... took of the timing chain to replace it and then decided not to, so we dropped the oilpan and put the new timing cover on along with a new keyway and helistat (i think that's what you call it, the gear on the inside of the timing cover that the cps reads off)

Is there anything else that should cause a problem when changing over the engine?

Also how did you guys put the hub and harmonic balancer back on?
Old 07-19-2009, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

You can just tune out the CPS sensor. And tap on the hub with a block of wood slowly, then put the bolt on and draw it in. Dont overdo it
Old 07-19-2009, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
You can just tune out the CPS sensor. And tap on the hub with a block of wood slowly, then put the bolt on and draw it in. Dont overdo it
are you being serious man? i just did a **** ton of work for something i could just use a tuner for? lmao

thanks for the tip
Old 07-20-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by realitygt
are you being serious man? i just did a **** ton of work for something i could just use a tuner for? lmao

thanks for the tip
Yes, the CPS sensor is there for OBD2 misfire detection. You could have just tuned out the code for the CPS and zip tied the wire for it out of the way. That's why is good to ask question on here first and save yourself time.
To swap it over you should have swapped over the '97 reluctor ring, '97 timing cover, and '97 crank hub & harmonic balancer. The '94 hub with the ruluctor ring will cause your harmonic balancer to not align correctly.
To get the hub back on you need to get a hold of a hardened/grade 8 7/16 x 20 threaded rod, a couple large hardened/grade 8 washers and a hardened/grade 8 nut. Thread the rod into the crank, slip on the hub, slip on a couple lubricated washers, screw the nut down and tighten until the hub is seated all of the way.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:05 PM

^i know lol gotta ask next time, i do with my mustang everytime.... we got it all back together now, using the reluctor ring and timing cover and hub off the 97,

The problem it was having before was that it was idling at 2000 rpms and whenever you plugged in the MAF sensor it dies... ? We started it up and changing the CPS changed nothing as far as that goes, we haven't disconnected the battery yet either to reset the computer after changing it, i don't think it would do anything though.. any ideas?

It's my friend car, and he has a 97 trans am and a 97 z28... both have the exact same problem of dying when the MAF is plugged in.. idk what's up with that... you guys have any suggestions?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by realitygt
^i know lol gotta ask next time, i do with my mustang everytime.... we got it all back together now, using the reluctor ring and timing cover and hub off the 97,

The problem it was having before was that it was idling at 2000 rpms and whenever you plugged in the MAF sensor it dies... ? We started it up and changing the CPS changed nothing as far as that goes, we haven't disconnected the battery yet either to reset the computer after changing it, i don't think it would do anything though.. any ideas?

It's my friend car, and he has a 97 trans am and a 97 z28... both have the exact same problem of dying when the MAF is plugged in.. idk what's up with that... you guys have any suggestions?
First of all I can tell you that it has nothing to do with the CPS.
High idle is usually caused by a vacuum leak or a faulty IAC. I would remove the IAC on each car and clean them up with brake cleaner. I would check for leaks around the intake manifold. It could be a torn intake elbow, bad hose or vacuum line to the intake manifold or TB (EVAP, PCV, brake booster vacuum hose, etc). Somewhere air is getting in.

EDIT. I forgot to say to check the TB to see that it isn't sticking open. Also check the throttle cable to see if it's binding at all. Check the throttle body stop screw to be sure that the throttle body blades close all the way.
Old 07-20-2009, 03:52 PM

the trans am idles perfectly at like 7-800 rpms (idk exactly) but dies when you plug the MAF in, the camaro, i thin it's just, like you said, a vacuum leak. I'll be checking it all tonight when i get off work

We had the trans am checked out a while ago and told that it was tuned for speed density and that's why when the maf was plugged in it died... is that true?