LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cooling shenanigans!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling shenanigans!

So my car is plagued with issues. I can drive to work and pick my kid up no problem, about a 20 minute trip. I don't believe the car heats up all the way. When I drive more than an hour, or sit in a lot with the ac on my car seems to get so hot that it shuts off. I pray to god I didn't warp the block or crack it for that matter. Here is the dilema my temp gauge doesn't go past like 220. So maybe its the sensor, maybe its the fans? Anyone know a easy way to check what could be going on. I just replaced the thermostat about a 8 months ago (5 months of driving time) with a 160, because it was getting kind of hot. Now, it has shut off the engine twice in the last two weeks. I let the car cool for like 4 hours, and drove it home without the ac on last night, but I will not drive it again until I figure this out. The fluid level is great, and I don't think it could be an air bubble because I would think that the gauge would tell me its still too hot unless the temp sensor is bad. Any input would be great guys.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hrm, the fact that the temp gauge doesn't go past 220 is strange. Just an FYI, though, that the 160 thermo won't work to its fullest potential correctly unless you get the car programmed for it. Mine NEVER gets above 175 with the AC off and 185 with the AC on.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I didn't get it tuned. It will get above 220 but not much and it goes back down.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have seen my car get past red and never shut itself off, that sounds more like an ignition problem. Car running, A/C on the fans should be running whether it is hot or not. you can check that first. but if it gets up to 220 and is flucuating i don't see it being a gauge problem. now if it was stuck on 220 i could see that being a problem.

ICM's tend to shut your car off if they get to hot. and when cool they will let you run again.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I don't think its an ignition prob, it runs great fast and slow, just not after an hour or so or in heavy traffic for a while. I also live in florida its an average of 90 everyday.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I could be your ICM though. Do a search about the ICM mod that moves it away from the block so that it is less likely to overheat and cut the engine.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

90 degree days must be nice, we are sitting at 103+ days here.

i wouldn't disregard the icm.
Old 07-20-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i stand corrected, only supposed to be 89 today
Old 07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 94Z28rag
I could be your ICM though. Do a search about the ICM mod that moves it away from the block so that it is less likely to overheat and cut the engine.
I agree with this statement. The heat from the head can transfer into the ICM pretty easily and in hot weather the little heat sink just isn't enough;. It has been a while since I did one, but if I remember correctly you pull the studs and there should be a captive nut on the stud too that is holding the ICM to the head (driver side front of head if you don't know where it's at). Put the studs back into the head with the ICM not on there, place the ICM on the studs on top of the captive nut, thus spacing it away from the head the height of the captive nut. Put some other nuts back onto the studs to hold the ICM on there.

It will stay a lot cooler now, if that was the problem it should be solved.