LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

plug wires/plugs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plug wires/plugs

Ugh... so that same plug wire is arcing out on my headers again. I took it apart and removed the loose wires that were sticking out a couple times already. Now its arcing again. Just fed up with them. I was searching around and found set of ac delco wires off of rockauto for 71.79, but another set for 137.79. I've read a lot of people saying stay with the stock replacements as they are a far better product vs the more expensive aftermarket selection. Plugs I'm going to steer away and try the tr55's gapped at .35 since I'm in there anyways.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are some High Temp/Heat Resistant sleeves available that slide over the spark plug ends on the wires to protect the wires from header heat. I saw them in catalogs as well as on display at O'Reilly"s. They run about $7 each.

I just bought new plug wires for my son's 96 LT1 Vette and I went with Moroso Blue Max 7mm wires so they would still fit in the stock wire seperators/stand-offs.

Maintain at leat 1/4" between any two wires to help prevent arcing between them. There are a few different ways to accomplish this; by buying wire separators, using the stock setup or just using plastic ties with a tie between two adjacent wires.

If you buy new wires, I suggest you buy ones with factory installed ends which are specific for your year, make and model engine.

Whatever wires you choose to buy, check the temp rating of the silicone which should be at least around 600F.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!