LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

mail tune on a 503

Old 07-22-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default mail tune on a 503

Hey, has anyone used Ion for a tune on a cc503 and did it run fairly good?
My Mom's car has a bolt on tune in it now, but this thing idles at like 500rpm, its ridiculous. Dynotune is out, I just want it to run a little better for her, she doesn't care about squeezing every pony out of it.

This car is also on the factory stall, I'm confused on why some people state the car will run like *** on a factory stall. It seems to drive just fine, I understand its not using that cam to its full ability without the stall, but maybe its something to do with the tune that is in it now?
Old 07-22-2009, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a MadTuner mail order tune for my CC503 cam-only M6. Car runs great.

The CC503 isn't too radical, but I bet if you tried to use stock stall and stock gears with a cam such as the GM847, it would be a totally different story...
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

madZ28 tune here, and my car runs awesome
Old 07-22-2009, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

you will be just fine, with that cam and ION as ur tuner....you will love it
Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys, I'll pull the PCM out whenever my Mom thinks the car can be down for a few days and ship it out.

Yeah my friend is getting a motor with a 503 in it also, I had a thread on here a while ago and people were acting like the world was going to end if we don't put a stall in it.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Thanks guys, I'll pull the PCM out whenever my Mom thinks the car can be down for a few days and ship it out.

Yeah my friend is getting a motor with a 503 in it also, I had a thread on here a while ago and people were acting like the world was going to end if we don't put a stall in it.
it's something you want to look into in the near future. helps the car idle better with the a/c on and in gear. btw your car is hot! same color as mine and i run a set of Z06 wheels as well
Old 07-22-2009, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

I've had great luck with my Madtuner PCM. Very little cam surge and pretty good gas mileage.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah I liked the tune he did for my hotcam motor, just making sure people were happy with the 503 tunes as well.

StangeatinZ28, you talking about the stall or the tune?
Yeah the green grew on me, few years ago I thought of painting the whole thing black. I eventually talked myself out of that, deciding the dark green/black roof looked really good. Unfortunately the clear coat seems to be coming off half the car now.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

why not just pay the core deposit so there no down time?
btw your mom is cool as hell having a cammed f-bod! im always trying to talk my parents into buying something with some muscle like a G8 etc
Old 07-22-2009, 05:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
why not just pay the core deposit so there no down time?
btw your mom is cool as hell having a cammed f-bod! im always trying to talk my parents into buying something with some muscle like a G8 etc
Exactly. Core exchange is an additional 125 bucks and you get like 100 bucks back. Worth it if you ask me.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:02 PM
TECH Junkie

She still has her 91 Firebird to get around in as a backup vehicle, that has a cammed 305 in it actually. That car was two colors though and I couldn't even think where to start on restoring the interior. So she saw the 94 Z28 and was hooked. I'm not complaining, I can fix a LT1, its that TBI mumbojumbo that sucks, I haven't sorted the TBI out on my truck yet, I know that. Thankfully the 91 Firebird never acted up.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I liked the tune he did for my hotcam motor, just making sure people were happy with the 503 tunes as well.

StangeatinZ28, you talking about the stall or the tune?
Yeah the green grew on me, few years ago I thought of painting the whole thing black. I eventually talked myself out of that, deciding the dark green/black roof looked really good. Unfortunately the clear coat seems to be coming off half the car now.
both lol but converter first for sure!
Old 07-23-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Regular

Ion tune here...

Back when I originally threw the cc503 in i was still on a stock tune, stock stall, stock 3.23's, etc. and the car ran fine with no issues at all (not even in reverse or anything) and power increase was deff there. When I rebuilt the motor I swapped to a sixspeed and got the Ion tune in there. Car runs fine in lower gears but even 5th gear has a little cam surge. 6th gear is completely unusable (COMPLETELY), I mean I've got surging at 90mph+. The car is otherwise in great running condition with new ignition parts, wires, plugs etc. and a new opti (due to oil and coolant getting sucked into the upper connector on the optical sensor side). With that being said, im pretty confident that the car is mechanically sound and it is just a problem with fine tuning it.

Now when I requested the tune I told him that I would be running a 100-150 shot and requested a couple degrees of timing to be pulled just in case. So that may or may not have something to do with it. However I have not sprayed it yet, and wont til I upgrade the fuel pump (due to low pressure). But once I do that I plan to run it on the dyno just to make sure the a/f is inline and to see whether or not I even needed the timing pulled. I will be sure to send him a copy of the dyno sheet to aid in changing the tables around.

Not trying to scare you, just telling you my story and how everything worked out for me. I'm sure he wont have any trouble fixing everything once I explain it to him and send him the dyno sheet but as of right now this is where I stand...
Old 07-23-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Are you sure it's the tune? I have a CC503/M6/3.42's and I don't have any cam surge.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

I also have the 503 with t56 and 4.10s but I can pull a hill running around 1100 rpms and have no cam surge. I believe I am still getting around 20 mpg split city/highway not beating it
Old 07-23-2009, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant see how you could have cam surge in 6th gear its such an extreme overdrive? i have a 24x/25x on a 107 lsa running around UNTUNED and i have only a little surge in 2nd gear. i had a cc306 in a stock shortblock tuned by ion with 3.42 gears and hardly any surge in 1st.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Regular

To be completely clear, I am not 100% sure its the tune. Like I said, I am fairly confident the car is mechanically sound. I told him all my modifications (including plans for the M6 swap, higher compression pistons, 100-150shot, etc. etc.) and there may have been some conflicting issues there.

Again, I am not blaming the problem on the tune at all, and like I said before, I plan to have it dyno'd to check everything out. But after looking at everything else on the car this is where I sit. I am completely open to ideas and any other suggestions that would help eliminate the tuning side as the culprit, but as of right now I am not really sure what else could be causing this issue.

(Also, reverse is pretty nasty as well.)
Old 07-24-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by projekt70chevelle
To be completely clear, I am not 100% sure its the tune. Like I said, I am fairly confident the car is mechanically sound. I told him all my modifications (including plans for the M6 swap, higher compression pistons, 100-150shot, etc. etc.) and there may have been some conflicting issues there.

Again, I am not blaming the problem on the tune at all, and like I said before, I plan to have it dyno'd to check everything out. But after looking at everything else on the car this is where I sit. I am completely open to ideas and any other suggestions that would help eliminate the tuning side as the culprit, but as of right now I am not really sure what else could be causing this issue.

(Also, reverse is pretty nasty as well.)
You being fairly confident that the car is mechanically sound after looking at the car. Doesn't really give us any info on what you have done to troubleshoot the issue and how/what you have methodically eliminated as the problem...
Old 07-24-2009, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Are there any cel's or ses lights? It was tuned for the six-speed right?

-SS
Old 07-24-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You being fairly confident that the car is mechanically sound after looking at the car. Doesn't really give us any info on what you have done to troubleshoot the issue and how/what you have methodically eliminated as the problem...

So far I have done a compression test, checked plugs for fouling/improper gap, checked wires, replaced opti (which was done after finding oil/coolant on the optical side of the unit), adjusted valves, checked multiple times for vacuum leaks, used the AFIT (Active Fuel Injector Tester) to ensure proper pressure drop on each injector, used noid lights to check for proper injector firing, and used a TECH2 GM Scanner to monitor activity of all sensors and made sure they fell within the proper parameters. I may have forgotten a few things, but all together I am 'fairly' confident that the car is mechanically sound (you can never be 100% on anything though).

The only thing I haven't done that i would like to do is run a wide-band on it to check the a/f through the power band. If there are any common issues that I should be taking a second look at let me know cuz Im still up in the air with this whole thing and really wanna pin point it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: mail tune on a 503