LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel Problem...'93 Regulator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Problem...'93 Regulator?

Ok so I recently finished my cam and heads swap. Basically I got the LE2 heads with the 226/230 Cam. He also ported my intake. Anyway we got it running using a tune from pcmforless. It seemed fine for about the first 1000 miles. It would pull hard to the rev limiter. Then I was driving it one day and noticed it started spark knocking at about 6k. It did it every time for a while. Also for the my fuel system I'm running a walbro 255 with racetronix 37# injectors. So I figured my fuel system was fine. We put it on a dyno and sure enough it was leaning out. Thing is it was lean all the way through the rpm's. Even at cruising speed. So we figured it was the tune. I sent the tune back and they readjusted it using the a/f graphs from the dyno and sent it back. I took the car out and it's acting the exact same! What's even weirder? Sometimes it spark knocks and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason either. Just random. We were thinking it could be my fuel pressure regulator. It's a stock '93 regulator with around 127k on it. Could that be the problem? Thanks
Old 07-24-2009, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesZ28
Ok so I recently finished my cam and heads swap. Basically I got the LE2 heads with the 226/230 Cam. He also ported my intake. Anyway we got it running using a tune from pcmforless. It seemed fine for about the first 1000 miles. It would pull hard to the rev limiter. Then I was driving it one day and noticed it started spark knocking at about 6k. It did it every time for a while. Also for the my fuel system I'm running a walbro 255 with racetronix 37# injectors. So I figured my fuel system was fine. We put it on a dyno and sure enough it was leaning out. Thing is it was lean all the way through the rpm's. Even at cruising speed. So we figured it was the tune. I sent the tune back and they readjusted it using the a/f graphs from the dyno and sent it back. I took the car out and it's acting the exact same! What's even weirder? Sometimes it spark knocks and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't seem to have a rhyme or reason either. Just random. We were thinking it could be my fuel pressure regulator. It's a stock '93 regulator with around 127k on it. Could that be the problem? Thanks
Have you hooked up a pressure gauge to see what your fuel pressure is at WOT underload at upper rpms?
Old 07-24-2009, 07:24 PM
Teching In

Yea. Not sure exactly what the reading was, but I know it was "normal" but it tended to bounce around. It wouldn't even out until around 3k I think which apparently is not normal.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesZ28
Yea. Not sure exactly what the reading was, but I know it was "normal" but it tended to bounce around. It wouldn't even out until around 3k I think which apparently is not normal.
What's "normal"?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 PM
Teching In

High 40's to low 50's I think. I'm not sure. It's just weird because I can bring it through the gears and it will pull hard all the way to 6800. Then i'll try it again like 10-15 minutes later and it will spark knock around 5800-6000 really bad. I don't understand why that would happen...
Old 07-27-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

seems actually a little high imo, if you remove the vacuum on the fpr does the fp jump up or stay the same?

my fp is around 40~psi at idle and 43~ at wot, mods in sig