LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 no oil at top end

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 10:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LT1 no oil at top end

I built my LT1....again. From the first start up my lifters were clacking like crazy. I thought it was the rockers so I had someone set them for me and my motor was still clacking. My oil pressure was 55 psi at idle, but no oil what so ever is coming out of the pushrods. I pulled the motor back out and tore it back down after running a priming tool and looking to see if any oil was coming out from the lifter oil passages. It was pouring out from the back passages but none from the front. Also, my lifters are pumped up too. I'm stumped on why im having this issue.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you allow a substantial amount of time for the oil to come up? When I primed mine, it took awhile (a good 5-6 minutes) for oil to come up the pushrods. Also, oil will not squirt out of the rockers, it will barely weep out, so make sure that's what you're looking for.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I know a guy who put in new lifters and got scared when he did not see oil right away. He ran out and bought Morels, when he took it back apart it turned out the new GM lifters were full of an assembly grease that would have melted and open up the lifters if he had let it warm up atall.

You using new lifters??
Old 07-25-2009, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have gotten into the practice of thoroughly cleaning all valvetrain components with alcohol then soaking in motor oil before install. The sticky oil that they use as an corrosion inhibitor tends to block oil passages until you reach temp. The first time I put mine together I saw I wasn't getting oil up top so I just went for broke and held it at 2500 rpm until it started oiling. Pretty much used the break in period that you would use for a flat tappet...it worked
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

When you install new lifters, the manufacturer normally recommends you clean, then oil them before installing. The protective lube used on new lifters can be pretty sticky.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was talking to a machine shop and the comp cam lifters I have are about 1.5to 2 years old and he said that comp sent out a bunch of bad lifters about 1.5 to 2 years ago, so its possible that I got one of the bad sets.

Quick Reply: LT1 no oil at top end