LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Yeap..the infamous opti has just went out..or so I think!

Old 07-25-2009, 11:13 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Yeap..the infamous opti has just went out..or so I think!

Ok so I drive to my sister's house with the car running perfectly fine..I just parked the car on the driveway and got off for a little chitchat. So I leave my sisters house and as soon as I back up from the driveway my car just starts trembling like crazy feeling like it wants to die with the Service Engine Soon like flashing(obviously a misfire). I checked out my wires and everything and they seemed fine..the spark plugs I changed about maybe 5000 miles ago so I wouldnt think they would be bad but who knows..all I think of now is the deadly opti...I'll have to check the coil and the control module later but I'm sure it'll be the opti..I was driving back home with the car misfiring all the way feeling like it wants to die(even at thirty) with some loud popping backfires from the exhaust..what do you guys think??
Old 07-25-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

typically I see optis either explode or deteriorate over time. unless of course a waterpump took a **** then I could see the problems you're having occur. with that said are you leaking any coolant?

if you gave it gas did it clear up at all?

I'd check that code(s), could be a number of things actually.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

check codes first then reply back on here, it will be much easier for everyone to diagnose the problem
Old 07-25-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Well actually 2 weeks ago one of my hoses was cracked and it leaked coolant all over the opti as well. As of now I havent seen any coolant leaks though..when i give it gas at idle or park, the misfire seems to go away..when Im driving though, it just feels like it wants to cut out and die..I'll have to check that code out though
Old 07-25-2009, 11:34 AM
TECH Addict

so no matter how much throttle you give it while driving it doesn't clear up?

as for the in park comment, typically misfires are less persistant while in park since there is no load on the motor, when the motor is under a load (driving) it can make missfires and other similar conditions appear since there is more of a strain on the fuel and ignition systems
Old 07-25-2009, 03:26 PM
TECH Regular

yeah when I give it gas it still won't clear up.. like when I go lets say 30..when I step on the pedal some..it still acts like it wants to die(it pretty much feels like the car is boggin down)..but ok got the codes checked.. I only got an oxygen sensor(bank 1 sensor 1) and a random/multiple cylinder misfire code (P0300)
Old 07-25-2009, 03:32 PM
11 Second Club

check your o2 wires and change the o2, i had the same thing happen. im gonna guess that its that. is it ok in the morning when you first start it until it warms up a little?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by myltwon
so no matter how much throttle you give it while driving it doesn't clear up?

as for the in park comment, typically misfires are less persistant while in park since there is no load on the motor, when the motor is under a load (driving) it can make missfires and other similar conditions appear since there is more of a strain on the fuel and ignition systems
What does it mean if it does clear up with more throttle?
Old 07-25-2009, 03:39 PM
11 Second Club

i dont think the computer uses the o2s under WOT so if it does clear up under that its probably the o2. if it doesnt more likely to be the opti
Old 07-25-2009, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah it doesnt seem to clear up..it still acts like crap when Im driving it..Im shooting for the opti..I might as well change everything while Im at..opti, wires, plugs, coil and control module lol in the morning though it seemed to be doing good..only for a brief moment though(maybe 5 or 6 seconds lmao).. nonetheless I also had the car tuned(through madtuner) think that the tune could possibly have an effect on the misfiring?? I doubt it but you never know..the only options I had on the tune was just getting rid of rear 02 sensors, and all the emission crap for the headers. I did get that premium fuel option though..other than that nothing major
Old 07-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Its the opti, mine did that when it went. Step on it and it bogs down.

Have fun with the opti change!
Old 07-25-2009, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah thats what I think it is..I step on it and it still bogs down..I could smell the misfire too..yeah I know..goddamn opti!
Old 07-25-2009, 08:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 86formula
i dont think the computer uses the o2s under WOT so if it does clear up under that its probably the o2.
+1 what he said

Search this Thread