LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Stock Rotating Assembly Capability

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Rotating Assembly Capability

I am about to start a budget build 355 and alot of my direction depends on how much power the stock rotating assembly can handle. This will be a refreshed shortblock. So I guess my question is how far can I push it without hurting it. If it can handle a motor build of say 550hp at the flywheel then I will use the stock bottom end with forged pistons. If not I am just going to build a 383. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is a question you guys see often. Oh yeah, IF it ever gets sprayed it will be a 125shot.

Thanks,
Rusty

Last edited by rustykey; 07-25-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rustykey
I am about to start a budget build 355 and alot of my direction depends on how much power the stock rotating assembly can handle. This will be a refreshed shortblock. So I guess my question is how far can I push it without hurting it. If it can handle a motor build of say 550hp at the flywheel then I will use the stock bottom end with forged pistons. If not I am just going to build a 383. Any help is appreciated. Sorry if this is a question you guys see often. Oh yeah, IF it ever gets sprayed it will be a 125shot.

Thanks,
Rusty
Stock crank, old style steel rods with ARP bolts and forged pistons would be good to about 500hp. Past that I would buy good rods, stock crank will be ok to 550hp.

If you are gonna buy a forged crank, build a 383.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Stock crank, old style steel rods with ARP bolts and forged pistons would be good to about 500hp. Past that I would buy good rods, stock crank will be ok to 550hp.

If you are gonna buy a forged crank, build a 383.
Agreed. No use in going stock cubes with a forged crank. Go bigger. Youll be much happier about the end result.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info. If I go with a 383 build, how would a scat steel crank with forged rods and pistons be?