LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need serious help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need serious help

Ok i went out to roll the windows up on the camaro. Well i hear a weird nosie when the car starts up and the voltage is sitting at like 8. So i shut the car down and the nosie still keeps going and so my next thing is battery. By the time i get battery undone there is a little smoke coming from the back of the motor. Any ideas guys
Old 07-27-2009, 12:10 PM
On The Tree

anything guys ? it started right up but i worried about taking it out
Old 07-27-2009, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe the starter power wire ground out somehow and it started smoking. What side of the back engine was it smoking? Also what kind of noise was it? With the voltage drop and the smoking something grounded out and melted enough to where its not grounded anymore. I wouldnt drive it till you look around could hit a bump and move the wire again.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

i was thinking it could be the starter but wouldnt that make it not start the car i am going to get under soon have to borrow my buddys ramps it was like a whining grinding sound and i could smell burning of something but i will get under and look which should i look at most the main power wire going to the starter or the one from the ignition?
Old 07-27-2009, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

I would look at both but I would be more concerned about the Main power wire. If it was a loud grinding like metal on metal it could be your starter hanging up and grinding on the flywheel. You will see tomorrow once you look at it probably be something pretty visable. If it is something with your starter maybe pull it down check the teeth on it real quick its only 2 bolts to drop it.