LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Some CC503 questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 02:24 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Some CC503 questions

I have opted to go with the CC503, but I won't be able to afford a stall and gears until my next salary.

Will the engine stall without a higher stall torque converter?

I have read about the pro mags sounding like sewing machines, thats not something I am interested in. No alternatives available?

Help me out, as I am ordering tomorrow or by latest the day after.

I have also delayed the purchase of a trans cooler and fan until I get the higher stall.

The knock module is out of stock, so I will try to get it through the dealership (most likely not available) but I know I will face some trouble with the extra noise the Pro Mags make.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ADM
I have opted to go with the CC503, but I won't be able to afford a stall and gears until my next salary.

Will the engine stall without a higher stall torque converter?

I have read about the pro mags sounding like sewing machines, thats not something I am interested in. No alternatives available?

Help me out, as I am ordering tomorrow or by latest the day after.

I have also delayed the purchase of a trans cooler and fan until I get the higher stall.

The knock module is out of stock, so I will try to get it through the dealership (most likely not available) but I know I will face some trouble with the extra noise the Pro Mags make.
You'll be fine driveability wise without the converter, you just won't be able to realize the full potential of the cam without the converter.

I dunno about pro-mags... tuning should be able to help with some of the false knock issues, maybe start there and then evaluate if you need the knock module or not.
Old 07-27-2009, 03:33 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by acammer
You'll be fine driveability wise without the converter, you just won't be able to realize the full potential of the cam without the converter.

I dunno about pro-mags... tuning should be able to help with some of the false knock issues, maybe start there and then evaluate if you need the knock module or not.
I will eventually purchase it once Summit has it in stock, but I want to drive the car as well, if I am going to keep it parked until the LT4KM arrives, then I might as well wait for it to be in stock and then order all the parts together.

I am looking at other sites that stock it to help ease this trouble. I will be having Solomon do my tune, and I am arranging to get the cables and programs needed.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran comp magnum 1.6 rockers with this cam, any stainless rocker is gonna be slightly louder than an aluminum one.

when you do get a tranny cooler, I recommend the largest B&M supercooler you can fit in there, I think thunderracing has the tranny cooler I purchased. don't waste money on a cheap-o flexlite, b&m's are much better imo
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

I am getting a B&M, its the same price as a flexlite. I just need to do some measurements and see what I can fit in there, will try to get a fan small enough to push air through it if possible, or I might not even need to since I don't use the A/C and could remove the condenser. My fans are already on direct so they will suck air through it.

I was looking at some Lunati cams, has anyone run them?
Old 07-27-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am using the Lunati 60121 and I love it, makes good power has a nice little lope and the throttle response if phenomenal I have a dyno vid in sig
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

I was looking at their springs, couldn't believe how cheap they are, 50$ only :S and are rated for .630" of lift.

I was looking at the 60122 with 231/239. I know everyone says DONT GO MORE THAN CC503 ON STOCK HEADS, but I do plan on getting some headwork later when I have the cash. Damn, with a 110LSA it will lope really good. It will make .570/.586 lift with 1.6 rockers, really big and the Beehives are rated for .600" .

But it comes down to what size pushrods to get, unless someone knows what length, I will have to go through the trouble of ordering twice and shipping.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Staging Lane

the promags arent that loud, you deffinately wont hear them over a nice exhaust. and remember you need a tune after the 503 install also!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if you haven't ordered the cam yet, I'd look into an LE custom, only cost $300 shipped vs $269 + shipping for a comp cam
Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myltwon
if you haven't ordered the cam yet, I'd look into an LE custom, only cost $300 shipped vs $269 + shipping for a comp cam
Yes, I have also considered that, but then it would need to be shipped separately which = more money. I will discuss with him whats the biggest I can run with stock heads, we did some contact a while back but since I set my mind on the CC503, I have not contacted him since.

I will e-mail him, see how much it will cost to ship it and if its worth the extra for the HP difference, or the potential of his custom cam.

What do you think of the Lunati?
Old 07-28-2009, 10:55 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by myltwon
Yes, I have also considered that, but then it would need to be shipped separately which = more money. I will discuss with him whats the biggest I can run with stock heads, we did some contact a while back but since I set my mind on the CC503, I have not contacted him since.

I will e-mail him, see how much it will cost to ship it and if its worth the extra for the HP difference, or the potential of his custom cam.

What do you think of the Lunati?
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

As stated you'll be fine driveablitly wise with the CC503, stock stall, and stock gears. But the car will really wake up once you get a 3000+ stall and 3.73 gears. I have promags and the sound is slightly more noisy than stock.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Im pretty sure the WS6 Store has the knock module in stock, and they have super fast shipping !
EDIT: when i ordered mine from them earlier this year they where much cheaper !

http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...ords=lt4+knock

Last edited by djjab57; 07-28-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
As stated you'll be fine driveablitly wise with the CC503, stock stall, and stock gears. But the car will really wake up once you get a 3000+ stall and 3.73 gears. I have promags and the sound is slightly more noisy than stock.
This is correct, you'll be fine running this setup since I am currently running it.
My next investment is a 3K+ stall.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:53 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Summit sells it cheaper now, for 10$ cheaper.

I contacted Lloyd, and a swift and excellent reply as always.

He told me the Voodoo lobes are an extremely aggressive grind, and I would face problems with the Beehive 918s. He also said some are having problems with the XFI lobes on the Beehives, but he advised me to stick to the CC503 because of the shift RPM i intend to stick with.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

I'm thinking of going with this cam after my longtubes.. I've got 3.73's now.

What are some good springs to use? I guess I could use my stock push rods and rocker arms, but if I decided not to, what are some good ones to get with this cam?

By the way, I have stock heads and bottom end.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Beehive 918s are great upto .600" of lift, and very popular. You will need hardened pushrods, I am buying Trick Flows, 7.200" length. Rocker arms, go with 1.6s and depending on what you prefer, you can buy. Make sure you get 3/8" stud. Try to go full roller rocker.

If you oil pressure is running low now, you can replace your pump with a GM Performance high pressure unit. Change the seal of the pan of course, and if you can get a good torque wrench, replace the rod bolts with ARPs.

Does anyone know how high we can spin an LT1 with ARP rod bolts?
Old 07-29-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by ADM
Beehive 918s are great upto .600" of lift, and very popular. You will need hardened pushrods, I am buying Trick Flows, 7.200" length. Rocker arms, go with 1.6s and depending on what you prefer, you can buy. Make sure you get 3/8" stud. Try to go full roller rocker.

If you oil pressure is running low now, you can replace your pump with a GM Performance high pressure unit. Change the seal of the pan of course, and if you can get a good torque wrench, replace the rod bolts with ARPs.

Does anyone know how high we can spin an LT1 with ARP rod bolts?
You can also use ARP 7/16" rocker arm studs. That's what I am using with my 7/16" NSA Pro Mags.

Don't get a high pressure pump. Just get a GM replacement standard volume/standard pressure oil pump and install the GM white spring.

I wouldn't recommend replacing rod bolts without reconditioning the rods and installing new bearings.

I spin my stock bottom end to ~6300-6500 rpm regularly without issue (your results may vary, lol). Which is fine to get the most out of the CC503.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ADM
Summit sells it cheaper now, for 10$ cheaper.

I contacted Lloyd, and a swift and excellent reply as always.

He told me the Voodoo lobes are an extremely aggressive grind, and I would face problems with the Beehive 918s. He also said some are having problems with the XFI lobes on the Beehives, but he advised me to stick to the CC503 because of the shift RPM i intend to stick with.
I am running the Voodoo on 918s and I haven't had a single problem!!
Old 07-29-2009, 02:52 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
I am running the Voodoo on 918s and I haven't had a single problem!!
The cam you run is a 219/227. The one I was after is a 231/239 and he mentioned its better to use Patriot Gold Xtremes to be safer, as they take a 0.650" lift.

Quick Reply: Some CC503 questions