LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

crank hub problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default crank hub problem

Ok so ever since I was able to get the car fired up I was extremely happy! Well I have been trying for the past 3 weeks to get this crank hub/pulley put on the car and I have not been able to.

I just today, went to the GM dealership and bought the correct bolt so I knew I had the right piece, and as I was tigthening the hub on, I felt the bolt tightening and then it just relieved pressure like it wasn't grabbing the threads, so after doing this for 40 minutes and trying to get it on, I have given up. I took the bolt out and the first 7 threads on the bolt are just about completely flat!!!

I don't know what to do or what is happening, it is so f*cking close to done it is stupid!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:07 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea man you definetly should not pull the crank hub on with the bolt because ruining the bolt and maybe the threads on the crank snout will happen. hopefully the crank threads are still good or can be retapped. but you need the tool to put the crank hub on or a large socket to tap it on first before you put the bolt on. Also just dont hit the hub with a hammer because you will mushroom it out and not be able to get the pulley on.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:24 PM
Teching In

I had a similar issue, I broke the bolt inside while tightening it. I went to true value and got a stronger bolt with the same size and thread pattern for <$1. And I guarantee you wont break the bolt. But derek is right, you do not want to damage the threads inside the snout either.

*don't make the mistake I made*
Make sure you don't put the hub on backwards lol
Old 07-27-2009, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the crank isn't all the way stripped out, you can always built a cheap install tool: http://members.***.net/gmarengo/Misc/Misc.htm
Old 07-27-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Never pull the hub on with the bolt.