LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cam swap, hit a snag

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam swap, hit a snag

so one of the three 10mm air pump nuts will not come off(the ones with the rubber behind it) it turns but will not go anywhere.. any one got any ideas? I think I'll call it a night for now, maybe I'll think of somin in the morning.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

while I've got this thread goin, do cc918's require and modifications to work? their on my spare set of heads I have to (eventually) get ported out, but they were on em when I got em and they need to come off and go on the ones on the engine so.. tia!

Last edited by z_speedfreak; 07-29-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Addict

I thought of another Q lol I couldn't find any cam lube locally so I grabbed some assembly lube will this be alright or is cam lube required?
Old 07-29-2009, 01:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
I thought of another Q lol I couldn't find any cam lube locally so I grabbed some assembly lube will this be alright or is cam lube required?
engine assembly oil is fine as long as ur running roller lifters,
Old 07-29-2009, 02:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

so one of the three 10mm air pump nuts will not come off(the ones with the rubber behind it) it turns but will not go anywhere.. any one got any ideas? I think I'll call it a night for now, maybe I'll think of somin in the morning.
Just remove the other two air pump bolts and you should be able to yank off the air pump. Then unbolt the air pump bracket from the block and toss all that garbage in the trash.

while I've got this thread goin, do cc918's require and modifications to work? their on my spare set of heads I have to (eventually) get ported out, but they were on em when I got em and they need to come off and go on the ones on the engine so.. tia!
Technically yes. The spring pockets need to be machined down some to get a desirable 1.8" spring installed height. You can install them as is with the correct retainers and locks. I think the installed height will be around 1.7" which is on the high side of spring pressure. I think you will be good with a lift under .570". I'm no expert though.

As stated you'll be fine.
Old 07-29-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Just remove the other two air pump bolts and you should be able to yank off the air pump. Then unbolt the air pump bracket from the block and toss all that garbage in the trash.
hahah yeah I was thinking about ditching it actually, but I would need to get some egr block off plates correct? if I ditch it I want to keep all the egr fittings and just plug everything up to make it look like its all still there in case I ever get pulled over and checked out by a cop who actually knows what hes talking about.
Technically yes. The spring pockets need to be machined down some to get a desirable 1.8" spring installed height. You can install them as is with the correct retainers and locks. I think the installed height will be around 1.7" which is on the high side of spring pressure. I think you will be good with a lift under .570". I'm no expert though.
hmm.. well I'll be under .570" right now cause I'll still be using the stock 1.5 rockers for a little while but I don't want to install anything incorrectly... maybe I should just swap the heads..? I had them checked out by a machine shop and they said everything was ok and set up right so I imagine they checked the spring height too.. can you check the spring height with a tape measure or is a special tool required? im a newb when it comes to internal mechanics, this is my 1st venture into internals. these other heads of mine have 2.02/1.56 valves tho so I might loose a couple hp to valve shrouding on stock heads, but I could also install the impala HG's I have. hmm what to do..
Old 07-29-2009, 08:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

hahah yeah I was thinking about ditching it actually, but I would need to get some egr block off plates correct? if I ditch it I want to keep all the egr fittings and just plug everything up to make it look like its all still there in case I ever get pulled over and checked out by a cop who actually knows what hes talking about.
The EGR Fittings are on back of the Intake and on the passengers Exhaust Header/Manifold. What you are probably referrering to are the AIR fittings on each side of the Manifolds ontop.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
The EGR Fittings are on back of the Intake and on the passengers Exhaust Header/Manifold. What you are probably referrering to are the AIR fittings on each side of the Manifolds ontop.
dirr AIR is what I ment, sorry just woke up after a long night, time for some coffee lol
got any insight on my spring situation merv?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 AM
11 Second Club

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Honestly I don't..wish I could help. I never had those springs installed on a LT1 Head, mine were LT4 ones that came with the Hotcam Kit.

The only Heads I have built from bare are the L92 ones that I'm running on my 408.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the_merv
Honestly I don't..wish I could help. I never had those springs installed on a LT1 Head, mine were LT4 ones that came with the Hotcam Kit.

The only Heads I have built from bare are the L92 ones that I'm running on my 408.
gotcha, well thanks anyways I'm hoping shbox, 96capricemanager or gizmo pokes their head in here soon I swear those guys know everything LTx related!
Old 07-29-2009, 09:33 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Whatever springs you decide, just make sure they are installed at the correct height. In order to do this you will need shims and a spring micrometer. Either that or have a machine shop do it (however you would want to check their work anyway so you may as well do it yourself).
Spring micrometer can be found here:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-900032/

Also, I know the question has already been answered, but even if you don't have assy. lube you can also use straight 30w oil (NOT 10w-30).
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Whatever springs you decide, just make sure they are installed at the correct height. In order to do this you will need shims and a spring micrometer. Either that or have a machine shop do it (however you would want to check their work anyway so you may as well do it yourself).

Also, I know the question has already been answered, but even if you don't have assy. lube you can also use straight 30w oil (NOT 10w-30).
cool, thanks! I'm def using the 918's since I've got them. I've been reading around and saw that allot of people use the +.050 locks instead of having their heads machined. any cons to doing this? should I get a set of +.050 locks or should I swap the other heads that as far as I know have the proper 1.8 height but also have larger valves? if I did that and used the impala HG's would that change the length of the PR required? tia
Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 AM
TECH Addict

never mind AI helped me out! fyi for any curious readers theres no draw backs to using the +.050 locks instead of machining the spring seats.
Old 07-29-2009, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

hmm.. well I'll be under .570" right now cause I'll still be using the stock 1.5 rockers for a little while but I don't want to install anything incorrectly... maybe I should just swap the heads..? I had them checked out by a machine shop and they said everything was ok and set up right so I imagine they checked the spring height too.. can you check the spring height with a tape measure or is a special tool required? im a newb when it comes to internal mechanics, this is my 1st venture into internals. these other heads of mine have 2.02/1.56 valves tho so I might loose a couple hp to valve shrouding on stock heads, but I could also install the impala HG's I have. hmm what to do..
Never assume anything, get a spring micrometer and check the spring installed height yourself.

Originally Posted by SS RRR

^^^There you go.

cool, thanks! I'm def using the 918's since I've got them. I've been reading around and saw that allot of people use the +.050 locks instead of having their heads machined. any cons to doing this? should I get a set of +.050 locks or should I swap the other heads that as far as I know have the proper 1.8 height but also have larger valves? if I did that and used the impala HG's would that change the length of the PR required? tia
I believe the part number floating around for those +.050" locks are 10* locks. You need to be sure that you have matching retainers that will work with those locks. I'd call up Comp and ask them a few questions.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:38 PM
TECH Regular

The only drawback to using those retainers would be clearance issues with SA rocker arms (the ones with the tabs) so when you do buy rockers just make sure they'll work or buy NSA.
Old 07-29-2009, 08:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i ended up about 1.75 with my old 918 setup with the +.05 locks. no sa rockers will not work, and .580 is about all the lift you'd wanna run. definitely check every single spring (pain in the ***) but the numbers will be all over the place. on my afrs the installed height varied as much as .02 across the board with the same shims, hell there was even a .005+ variance in the comp shims too.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Never assume anything, get a spring micrometer and check the spring installed height yourself.

I believe the part number floating around for those +.050" locks are 10* locks. You need to be sure that you have matching retainers that will work with those locks. I'd call up Comp and ask them a few questions.
I won't be swapping the heads, I'll just be using +.05 locks so no need to measure the spring height. I purchased the locks AI sells in their matched kits and then emailed them asking if I need certain retainers for the locks and haven't heard anything back yet so..beats me, hopefully I don't, I don't want to have to wait even longer for parts.

Originally Posted by My95Z
The only drawback to using those retainers would be clearance issues with SA rocker arms (the ones with the tabs) so when you do buy rockers just make sure they'll work or buy NSA.
oO arent the stock rockers SA? I was gonna go NSA eventually but I don't want to dish out for them atm.
Originally Posted by Wicked94Z
i ended up about 1.75 with my old 918 setup with the +.05 locks. no sa rockers will not work, and .580 is about all the lift you'd wanna run. definitely check every single spring (pain in the ***) but the numbers will be all over the place. on my afrs the installed height varied as much as .02 across the board with the same shims, hell there was even a .005+ variance in the comp shims too.
well when I step up to RR's I'll be around .574 if I remember correctly, 918's are rated for .600 right? I know they need some lee way but do they really need +.020 of lee way? these are not newer blue stripped ones btw..
Old 07-30-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Regular

Stockers are SA, but do not have the large alignment tabs that most of the aftermarket SA rockers do that would cause clearance issues.

For the springs lift capacity, that is determined by the installed height - the coil bind of the springs. Normally leave .05" for safety and that is the max you should run.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by My95Z
Stockers are SA, but do not have the large alignment tabs that most of the aftermarket SA rockers do that would cause clearance issues.

For the springs lift capacity, that is determined by the installed height - the coil bind of the springs. Normally leave .05" for safety and that is the max you should run.
cool, thanks man.

Quick Reply: cam swap, hit a snag