LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

opti problem...maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opti problem...maybe?

so with my 4 years or so of owning this car, i have gone through 1 entire opti and probably 3 cap and rotor sets, plus a water pump and such. I know what it is usually like when the opti starts failing, the sputtering and hesitation, rough idleing, etc. Im getting the same symptoms again, and it would be about the time to replace (the current cap and rotor has lasted almost a year and a half, pretty good for this car's track record) but this time im getting a few symptoms im really not used to with this problem, and im wondering if it could be something else...figured I would get some experienced opinions before I start to drop my checking account on this thing and turns out I was wrong.

The car is perfectly fine cold, no missing, hesitation, sputtering, etc. Once warmed up is when the hesitation, rough idleing, and missing begins. But this this where it gets wierd --- usually right after it gets warmed up it will miss and such, but drive it for about 10-15 minutes and it all goes away. Everything is back to normal, perfectly fine like nothing is wrong. Then all of a sudden, its back to missing and hesitating...then back to normal..and the cycle goes on. Ive even had it miss only after its warmed up and do it for about 7 or 8 minutes then be good for the rest of the time its started up, and even the other way around with it never getting out of its fits. My other opti problems have usually been pretty consistant, not random like this one seems to be. And also, there is sometimes a slight burning smell when i shut the car off and get out, just very slight.

So what do yall think? opti again? anyone else had this happen?
Old 07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by simster571
so with my 4 years or so of owning this car, i have gone through 1 entire opti and probably 3 cap and rotor sets, plus a water pump and such. I know what it is usually like when the opti starts failing, the sputtering and hesitation, rough idleing, etc. Im getting the same symptoms again, and it would be about the time to replace (the current cap and rotor has lasted almost a year and a half, pretty good for this car's track record) but this time im getting a few symptoms im really not used to with this problem, and im wondering if it could be something else...figured I would get some experienced opinions before I start to drop my checking account on this thing and turns out I was wrong.

The car is perfectly fine cold, no missing, hesitation, sputtering, etc. Once warmed up is when the hesitation, rough idleing, and missing begins. But this this where it gets wierd --- usually right after it gets warmed up it will miss and such, but drive it for about 10-15 minutes and it all goes away. Everything is back to normal, perfectly fine like nothing is wrong. Then all of a sudden, its back to missing and hesitating...then back to normal..and the cycle goes on. Ive even had it miss only after its warmed up and do it for about 7 or 8 minutes then be good for the rest of the time its started up, and even the other way around with it never getting out of its fits. My other opti problems have usually been pretty consistant, not random like this one seems to be. And also, there is sometimes a slight burning smell when i shut the car off and get out, just very slight.

So what do yall think? opti again? anyone else had this happen?
Maybe it's a MAF or o2 sensor issue.
Old 07-31-2009, 12:43 AM
Staging Lane

you think it could be? thats crazy because right after that post I had to make a run to the store and it threw a code - o2 sensor bank 2 low voltage. could this be it?
Old 07-31-2009, 02:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by simster571
you think it could be? thats crazy because right after that post I had to make a run to the store and it threw a code - o2 sensor bank 2 low voltage. could this be it?
bank 2 sensor __ low voltage?

Sensor 1, yes it will cause poor performance. Sensor 2, will have no effect on performance.
Old 07-31-2009, 02:47 AM
TECH Regular

How about your ICM and your grounds? How's your battery? My contacts were corroded and gave me some of the same symptoms.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:46 AM
Staging Lane

i hate opti spark mine just went out
Old 07-31-2009, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
bank 2 sensor __ low voltage?

Sensor 1, yes it will cause poor performance. Sensor 2, will have no effect on performance.
its bank 2, sensor 1...so ill have to get it replaced then.

Last edited by simster571; 07-31-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SS#502
How about your ICM and your grounds? How's your battery? My contacts were corroded and gave me some of the same symptoms.
i just recently had to replace my battery and terminals...i jsut bought a new battery and converted to top post instead of side, so i dont think its that. I get paid on the 2nd so ill go buy a new O2 sensor and give that a try..if not then guess im gonna go after the cap and rotor. anyone know of a good guide that goes over how to replace it yourself? ive always used a mechanic