LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think my engine is shot

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I think my engine is shot

Driving back from DT last night car started feeling sluggish, thought it was maybe a fuel problem. Seemed to get worse as I got closer to home. I couldn't figure it out. Oil PSI was okay, but seemed to fluctuate erratically. Got in the car this morning to go play golf. Got a couple of miles down the road and she got sluggish again. Did a U-turn and headed for home, barely made it. Revved it in the driveway thinking maybe fouled plugs. It got to 2700rpm then power dropped to 1500rpm. It idled fine, thought maybe EGR, revved it again, she started knocking louder and louder, PSI was erratic still. I shut it off.

Damn. I think I'm done with this car.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedy
Driving back from DT last night car started feeling sluggish, thought it was maybe a fuel problem. Seemed to get worse as I got closer to home. I couldn't figure it out. Oil PSI was okay, but seemed to fluctuate erratically. Got in the car this morning to go play golf. Got a couple of miles down the road and she got sluggish again. Did a U-turn and headed for home, barely made it. Revved it in the driveway thinking maybe fouled plugs. It got to 2700rpm then power dropped to 1500rpm. It idled fine, thought maybe EGR, revved it again, she started knocking louder and louder, PSI was erratic still. I shut it off.

Damn. I think I'm done with this car.
Knocking is never a good sign. Check your oil for metal shavings. Tear open your filter too.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Knocking is never a good sign. Check your oil for metal shavings. Tear open your filter too.
+1 on checking the oil.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Throw some 15w40 in there and giver hell for another couple weeks haha.

Seriously though that sucks dude, im dreading the day mine blows something through the block when im beating er on the highway..

MAKE IT FASTER!
Old 08-03-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when that happens theirs only one thing to do... make it Stupid fast >
Old 08-03-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Just how erratic is it getting? With a stock oil pump a spun bearing should kill off pressure at all engine speeds.

Check the valvetrain for loose rockers, that could be the cause of the knock.
Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

i thought mine was going too and it was actually injectors, theres alot of things it could be before ruling it a shot engine.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well at this point it's a real mystery. I'm thinking clogged oil pump, since I still have oil PSI. The guess about the loose rockers sounds good, I'll look at that too. Most of the noise seems to be coming from #3, 5, and 7. Could be floating the valves, that would explain the loss of power when I rev. This is a best case scenario but I'm trying not to abandon hope.

Why would the rockers loosen up so easily though? Very strange. Gonna get poly locks if that's the case. If it's shot, I might price making it crazyfast with a rebuild. I hope it's just the valves. I'll dig into it next weekend. Thanks for the hope.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hope all is well bro! I'm constantly fixing stuff on my car too, but thats mostly just the basic stuff like ball-joints and hub assemblies. Wish I could do more motor work soon, but sadly I've made the full transition to broke college student this summer.. all my money is in stocks to keep me out of it
Old 08-04-2009, 07:48 PM
11 Second Club

tapping/ticking would be valves/rockers. Knocking and erratic oil psi is prob a rod knock, a spun main would kill oil psi
Old 08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Sounds like what happened to my engine. Ended up spinning 2 rods and a main bearing.
Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Idk that I've ever seen a clogged oil pump, but bad filter is a possablilty.

The pivot ***** can actually get eaten up if you aren't getting enough oil to the top of the engine, are spinning it up too high, or don't let oil cirulate to the top then get on it (like if its cold). So a number of things can cause that.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:04 PM

Good luck with your car I hope its not to serious...my car is getting a new engine now because my husband drove through a water puddle (it was raining really hard had no choice) and got water in the block totally trashed it. Good luck man!!

Quick Reply: I think my engine is shot