LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dial Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:01 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dial Indicator

Could someone please tell me how to determine camshaft lift while the cam is in the vehicle using a dial indicator? I want to make sure the cam that is in my car is the one that I ordered. Hopefully no one made a mistake and put the wrong camshaft in my Camaro.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Unfortunately, a dial indicator will only give you the lift, not the timing numbers. Getting that data would require that a degree wheel be used in conjunction with the dial. Just having lift only won't really I.D. the cam.

To use the dial, pull one valve cover, rotate the engine so that one lifter and pushrod are on the cam base circle. Set the dial to indicate on that rocker arm right on the top side of the pushrod socket. Zero the dial. Rotate the engine (in the normal direction) until you see max lift, and write down that number. This gives you cam lift at the lobe. Now multiply by rocker arm ratio to get valve lift.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Launching!

I know it probably won't identify the cam but I just want to make sure that the stock cam was not put back in my car. Where do I place the base of the dial if the base is magnetic and the heads are aluminum? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

Most dial kits also come with a clamp that you can use to clamp it to anything convenient. You could pull an adjacent rocker, and clamp it to the rocker stud.

Where the base goes isn't all that important, just as long as the the indicator isn't hitting the rocker at an angle. You want the stem on the dial to be directly in line with the motion of the part.

Quick Reply: Dial Indicator