LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Possibly a bad o2 1 month after header install?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly a bad o2 1 month after header install?

ok, so i did a lt coated pacesetter header install a month ago and the car ran fine. i havent gotten it tuned yet so it still has the check engine light on.

just yesterday i was on the free way it started to sound like it was missfiring and the SES light started flashing at me for about 5 sec then it would stop flashing for 5 then it started flashing again and it did that the whole way home. The car felt that it had no power and it seemed the motor was struggling to get up to speed.

I checked my spark plug wires and none of them are burned. my o2 extension was burned from the 1st start up but its been sending a good signal. none of the actual wires are burnt inside of the insulation of the extension (driver's side) so I don't think this is the problem.

I had my friend scan it and it said that it was reading a random misfire and an inactive o2, bank 1 bank 2. (no idea what that means) i don't remember the actual codes.

could a bad o2 even cause a random misfire or should i just replace both o2 sensors? i called the chevy dealer and theyre $153 each don't really wanna spend that much.

what would u guys do?
Old 08-05-2009, 12:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You are not supposed to use new o2 sensors with brand new ceramic coated headers. The coating will burn off a little in the first few heat cycles and will foul out your o2's. I am willing to bet that bad o2's are contributing to your loss of power. But a randomn misfire is probably being caused by a bad/burned wire. You can't just look at them to see if they are still good. I bet some new o2's and new wires will cure your issue. This time take extra care to keep the wires away from the headers and maybe even use some heat insulating sleeves where the wires meet the plugs.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Regular

I can mail you some used O2s off my car. They are still good, I just decided to put new ones on when I did my header install (stainless steel long tubes). PM me and we will figure out a price if you want them. Might as well sell them both. They look pretty clean.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i used the original ones because i knew this might happen. what does bank 1 and bank 2 mean?

also, how do i know which o2 sensor i should replace or should i just do both?

i can afford both but its just gonna be a dent in my wallet i don't need right now.

Last edited by Z28_LT1; 08-05-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
well i used the original ones because i knew this might happen. what does bank 1 and bank 2 mean?
For '96-'97 cars with 4 o2 sensors:
Bank 1 sensor 1 - driver side, pre cat o2 sensor
Bank 1 sensor 2 - driver side, post cat o2 sensor
Bank 2 sensor 1 - passenger side, pre cat o2 sensor
Bank 2 sensor 2 - passenger side, post cat o2 sensor
Old 08-05-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

you want my O2 sensors?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nah its cool im gonna buy them new, thanks for the offer tho.

hmm ok, so should i buy ac delco or can i get away with the cheapies at auto zone?
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might be throwing money away, when you put the long tubes on you didn't replace the rear o2s and not having them tuned out is going to throw a no activity code for bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. Your front o2 sensors might be OK, you just need to double check the codes and if you are still concerned, pop a spark plug out of each bank and see how they look. I would assume your problem lies in burnt spark plug wires.
Old 08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
You might be throwing money away, when you put the long tubes on you didn't replace the rear o2s and not having them tuned out is going to throw a no activity code for bank 1 sensor 2 and bank 2 sensor 2. Your front o2 sensors might be OK, you just need to double check the codes and if you are still concerned, pop a spark plug out of each bank and see how they look. I would assume your problem lies in burnt spark plug wires.
you may have a point. im pretty sure the code said the front o2 bank one and two... hmm.... ok, im gonna go recheck the codes in a few minutes to clear any confusion.....
Old 08-05-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Regular

nah its cool im gonna buy them new, thanks for the offer tho.

hmm ok, so should i buy ac delco or can i get away with the cheapies at auto zone?
if you decide your O2s are bad for sure, I would get the nice ones. I am a big fan of doing it right once. But that is why I tend to go over my budgets for stuff. Ugh. Probably cheaper though than redoing it.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok, i rechecked and it turns out my bud cleared the codes with the scanner to see if they come backm but this time it was just P0171: System to lean bank 1.

So i drove it around for a little bit and it still didn't have power so i brought it back. I know running lean is bad but i needed the car to warm up to op temp.

At this moment I think that it might be the burnt extension. Opinions? Im gonna see if i got power at the end of the prongs and im just gonna work my way up if I don't. if i do have power at the end of the extension then its gotta be the o2, right?
Old 08-06-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok, i rechecked and it turns out my bud cleared the codes with the scanner to see if they come backm but this time it was just P0171: System to lean bank 1.

So i drove it around for a little bit and it still didn't have power so i brought it back. I know running lean is bad but i needed the car to warm up to op temp.

At this moment I think that it might be the burnt extension. Opinions? Im gonna see if i got power at the end of the prongs and im just gonna work my way up if I don't. if i do have power at the end of the extension then its gotta be the o2, right?
Disconnect both front o2 sensors and drive it around. If power returns, you have bad o2's/wiring. If not, you might have fouled out your plugs, in that case get some new NGK TR55's and you should be good to go.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

should i try this while its still in open loop?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:47 PM
TECH Regular

I say just unhook everything you can think of, related to the O2s or not, then hook it all back up. Everything will work again. That seemed to work with me today. Spent an entire afternoon with her, and magically she fixed herself.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I say just unhook everything you can think of, related to the O2s or not, then hook it all back up. Everything will work again. That seemed to work with me today. Spent an entire afternoon with her, and magically she fixed herself.
lol haha. thats the way to do it. lol

well i drove it with both o2s disconnected and power did not return so, according to slp, its the plugs, but im gonna just go ahead and swap the wires while im at it...

Edit: I failed to mention that when i installed the headers i installed new spark plugs, ngk iridium i believe they were.....

what does it mean to have a fouled plug and can you tell by looking at it?
Old 08-07-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

lol haha. thats the way to do it. lol

well i drove it with both o2s disconnected and power did not return so, according to slp, its the plugs but im gonna just go ahead and swap the wires while im at it...

what does it mean to have a fouled plug and can you tell by looking at it?
http://www.boschautoparts.com/NR/rdo...kPlugFaces.pdf

Doing the wires at the same time is a good idea. What I said is that a bad o2 could have fouled your plugs. Now if you change you plugs and still have a bad o2, it will foul them again. I think, can't be sure though, that new o2's, wires, and plugs will cure your issues. Don't cross any wires.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

you should be able to do this all yourself for about $300. Make sure you put heat sleeves on your wires. Worth it to do it before you put the wires on so you don't have to pull the wires then put the sleeves on like I had to.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright. Thanks slp and hawk, im gonna get this done asap and post here again to let u guys know the results. thanks for your help. i appreciate it.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well problem fixed. if this happens again wires is what im gonna check first. thanks for all your help.

Quick Reply: Possibly a bad o2 1 month after header install?