LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

HELP!!!! weird ignition issue is driving me nuts!

Old 08-06-2009, 04:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! weird ignition issue is driving me nuts!

so i went to start my car the other day and i put the key to the on position to turn the fuel pump on and there was nothing there. no dash lights, no pump hum, nothing. so i was dicking around with the key and i pushed it just a hair past the on position and the pump came on along with the gauge lights. so i started the car. as soon as i released the key it shut the car off. i took the bottom of the dash off and traced the relay clicking sound to the Retained Accessory Power Module. The thing was burning hot. so i unplugged it and my dash lights and pump came on when the key was in the on position. but the car wouldnt start. Im not sure if my key is acting up or if the RAP module is F'd. any help would be appreciated. its a 94 formula OBDI blah blah blah...
Old 08-06-2009, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by daves94formula
so i went to start my car the other day and i put the key to the on position to turn the fuel pump on and there was nothing there. no dash lights, no pump hum, nothing. so i was dicking around with the key and i pushed it just a hair past the on position and the pump came on along with the gauge lights. so i started the car. as soon as i released the key it shut the car off. i took the bottom of the dash off and traced the relay clicking sound to the Retained Accessory Power Module. The thing was burning hot. so i unplugged it and my dash lights and pump came on when the key was in the on position. but the car wouldnt start. Im not sure if my key is acting up or if the RAP module is F'd. any help would be appreciated. its a 94 formula OBDI blah blah blah...
With the RAP plugged in, does the security light flash when you turn the key?

EDIT: Nevermind. If it was a vats issue, the pump would still turn on and the dash lights would work. If the RAP is heating up, it sounds like you have a short somewhere.

Last edited by ss.slp.ls1; 08-06-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i just had that thought go through my head not to long ago. looks like im going to be following wires tonight......

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP!!!! weird ignition issue is driving me nuts!