LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Mysterious Oil Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 10:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mysterious Oil Leak

Ever since i got my new motor there has been a very slow oil leak. I have checked the usual culprits but im still having no luck. Here is what i have ruled out.

Rear main: They puke oil which is far from what I am doing
Oil pan: Its sealed up tight and it doesnt trace back to it
Drain plug/filter: Leak comes from higher up
Crankcase vent line: No oil on the top of the valve cover
Oil cap: Pretty obvious to check
Valve cover: Dry
Timing Cover

So where else could it be coming from?

Last edited by hitmanws6; 08-06-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you find the oil? That would be a good start and also what do you mean by the rear main "pukes" oil??
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
Where do you find the oil? That would be a good start and also what do you mean by the rear main "pukes" oil??
usually when a rear main is going out it pukes oil. mine has less than 5K on it. it look like it travels from the front of the engine almost and then to the underside
Old 08-06-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

I would check around. Clean up your engine bay and engine and then check it after driving it for a bit. I honestly have not known an LT1 that did not at least seep a little bit. As long as you don't notice any lack of oil on your dipstick, you should be fine. I gave up on finding mine a while ago. She just seeps a little bit, and I have NEVER been able to even tell a difference in the oil level on my dipstick.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I would check around. Clean up your engine bay and engine and then check it after driving it for a bit. I honestly have not known an LT1 that did not at least seep a little bit. As long as you don't notice any lack of oil on your dipstick, you should be fine. I gave up on finding mine a while ago. She just seeps a little bit, and I have NEVER been able to even tell a difference in the oil level on my dipstick.
my oil level is fine too, thats what confuses me
Old 08-07-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

the oring on my oil level sensor in the side of the pan was seeping just enough to wet down everything under there but not enought to casue my oil level to drop significantly.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
my oil level is fine too, thats what confuses me
I am thinking then that you have normal seepage? Is this your first LT1? I am thinking the only way to tell EXACTLY where it is: pull the motor. wipe it down and clean her up. drop the motor back in. run it on the street for a day or two. pull the motor, and you will find your leak. Not worth it IMO. But I am guessing it is just seepage if you are not showing low on the dip. Double check with some of the guys more knowledgable than me, but it is probably just seepage.
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lt1 hawk
I am thinking then that you have normal seepage?
Now there's a term I haven't heard since retiring from the Navy. There is no such animal. Seals either seal or they don't. Gaskets, Orings etc. either seal or they don't. If they don't, then there is an underlying problem that causes this to happen. The problem may be damage, it may be poor design, it may be old age of the offending seal, it may be any of a number of things....but it's still a problem that needs to be fixed.

The phrase "normal seepage" is a catch all for "I don't know why it's leaking" or "I'm either too lazy or don't care enough to fix it".
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Teching In

lmao... +1 i do know its common for lt1s to drool but wouldnt call it normal.. Id start with intake manifold and go from there.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by fleetmgr
Now there's a term I haven't heard since retiring from the Navy. There is no such animal. Seals either seal or they don't. Gaskets, Orings etc. either seal or they don't. If they don't, then there is an underlying problem that causes this to happen. The problem may be damage, it may be poor design, it may be old age of the offending seal, it may be any of a number of things....but it's still a problem that needs to be fixed.

The phrase "normal seepage" is a catch all for "I don't know why it's leaking" or "I'm either too lazy or don't care enough to fix it".
I am well aware of the true meaning of normal seepage. I am just saying it might not really be worth it if it is very minor and the cost and effort of fixing it is astronomical. Just saying. Me, I am willing to live with it until I use her for a show car or Auto Cross. But that is me, and I am a big fan of just making it work. I agree with you whole heartedly, but is it worth the average person's time and money?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

To me it would be, but then I'm **** about things like that.

Quick Reply: Mysterious Oil Leak