LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

solid roller. to, or to not.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 01:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default solid roller. to, or to not.

I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole solid roller deal. What would I need to convert my current CC503 setup to a solid roller setup? I know I need rockers, lifters and a new camshaft, is there anything other then that?

My car see's the street maybe 3 times a month. I'm not worried about mileage between adjustment of the rockers. I do however know that I could see a good bit of power gain.

Thoughts? Comments? Adding to my knowledge?
Old 08-07-2009, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Your sig says that you have H/C/I 355 M6 and you are only putting down 351 rwhp. Something is wrong there. My CC503 cam-only M6 is probably matching your output. I think you need to look into your current set up and improve/optimize to get more power, not go solid roller.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oh, I see your HP/TQ predictions thread. You have milled stock heads with a 3-angle valve job. Spend your money on some Ai ported stock heads before you change your valve train. There is a lot of power left on the table with your current set up.
Old 08-07-2009, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Yea I guess I should change that. Plan was to port the heads but funds ran out. They haven't been touched. Since those numbers I've also put on a new MSD opti and a ram air intake. Dunno if it'll add much power but it was also a 100* day when I got the car dynoed.

I'd like to put a set of AIs on there, I know I'd hit the 400 mark, but if I did that I'd swap out the cam as well, as well as a set of caddy racing lifters over my stock replacement federal mogal lifters.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by tbird31
Yea I guess I should change that. Plan was to port the heads but funds ran out. They haven't been touched. Since those numbers I've also put on a new MSD opti and a ram air intake. Dunno if it'll add much power but it was also a 100* day when I got the car dynoed.

I'd like to put a set of AIs on there, I know I'd hit the 400 mark, but if I did that I'd swap out the cam as well, as well as a set of caddy racing lifters over my stock replacement federal mogal lifters.
Well you could install their heads and their 230/238 cam. That's what I would do. Give them a call and discuss your goals with them.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird31
I'm not too knowledgeable on the whole solid roller deal. What would I need to convert my current CC503 setup to a solid roller setup? I know I need rockers, lifters and a new camshaft, is there anything other then that?

My car see's the street maybe 3 times a month. I'm not worried about mileage between adjustment of the rockers. I do however know that I could see a good bit of power gain.

Thoughts? Comments? Adding to my knowledge?
Assuming your current valve springs are up to the task, that's all you'll need to do. When it comes to springs, it's important to consider not only whether they can handle the new valve lift and have the right seat pressure, BUT also the spring RATE.

A stud girdle would be a nice addition too but in mild to moderate cam profiles, girdles aren't essential. It depends on what R's you plan to hit; over 6500 I'd say YES.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

You would also need a good dyno tuning. No mail order tune for SR. A knock sensor cannot be used.

Quick Reply: solid roller. to, or to not.