LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A/C question...

Old 08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A/C question...

Alright, I have a '93 T/A and it had a leaking shrader valve on one of the a/c lines. I replaced it and recharged the system...bada-bing bada-boom a/c worked and blew cold again. Well, the other day in the 100 degree heat in south Florida, after the car got warmed up and to temp., after about a half hour it started blowing warm like the refrigerant was out/low. Next day, seemed fine and did it again after about a half hour. Today didn't do it.

Now my question is this. I recently installed long tube headers and broke the coolant temp sensor for the gauge and had to replace it. But I think I messed up the wire too or something as the gauge always reads like 40 degrees higher than it actually is...i.e. it reads pegged when it is at 220ish. I have verified it is not actually overheating with various other gauges and infrared guns. Would the a/c in this car have a cutoff for the a/c clutch compressor or something that shuts off the compressor if the gauges are reading too hot...when the "check gauges" light comes on. Because it almost seems to coincide with the light coming on? Or is it more likely just low on refrigerant again...leaking down somewhere else? Just wanted to ask opinions before digging into the a/c again looking for a leak that may not be there.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Does it start blowing warm when you come to a stop ?
Old 08-07-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

No...it works fine until it decides not to anymore. Basically, it blows cold moving or stopped until it starts with the warm air...then it keeps blowing warm.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:59 PM
TECH Addict

Was the leaking Schraeder valve on the liquid line (HP side) or the suction line (LP side)?
Old 08-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

I'm pretty sure it was the LP side, but I will have to check at a later time...when I get back in town from work.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C question...