LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 vs ls1

Old 08-10-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Lt1 vs ls1

ok its obvious that the ltx gets no respect on this site. U hear alot about how "the best built ls1 is twice as fast as the best built lt1" i call BS and heres why. we lt1 guys are all running on our true gm lt1 blocks, aswhere the lsx guys are running good numbers, but the fastest STOCK BLOCK LS1 i believe isnt nearly as fast as the fastest lt1 block car right? i would like to know. cause i dont really care what a lsx car runs if its running anything else but the gm ls1 block. just would like to know what the fastest ls1 block is? and the fastest ltx block car? i could ramble on about this all day, but i'm not. so lets see what you guys have to say
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Temp ban for the subject line that shall not be said.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

There was a thread not too long ago titled something like 9 sec LT1 all motor. It lists some of the fastest LT1 times.

More than likely some of the fastest LSx guys are running stroked/bored iron blocks like the LQ blocks or the LSx blocks. The LS1 can't be over bored much at all, limiting their displacement.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

thats my point
Old 08-10-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is an interesting topic. I would like to see what develops.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
Probably just another useless thread proving nothing but the fact that either one can be made fast. Just requires lots of money and knowledge either way you go.... slightly less knowledge with an LS1.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
An interesting topic that's been beat to death on here ever since the site first came about.

Originally Posted by LT1nitrouZ
Probably just another useless thread proving nothing but the fact that either one can be made fast. Just requires lots of money and knowledge either way you go.... slightly less knowledge with an LS1.
Exactly. Fact of the matter is they both suck...buy a LS7 j/k
Old 08-10-2009, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

LS1: benefits are more responsive to mods, better flowing, lighter weight block being aluminum instead of cast iron. They get the coil on plug instead of our stupid optispark system. The LS1 PCM is capable of handling a lot of power whereas ours is limiting by both our PCM and optispark systems.

In my opinion, the LTx is the last modern representation of a muscle car. Muscle cars are categorized as lots of low end torque - hence we have the LT1

The LSx is more of a mid-range to high-end power band and less low end like ours.

Obviously the LSx is an evolved version of the LTx, but without GM learning from the flaws they had with the LTx, there would be no LSx. Gen 2 ----> Gen 3

Evolution

Both motors have crazy performance potential but the LTx has always been the underdog. Exactly the reason we still have LTx guys. Its always fun to watch the underdog win - in sporting events, and in the car world.

Now wait for all the criticism and this thread to get very nasty

Just my .02
Old 08-10-2009, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

If your talking all out fastest the LSX has the win, they have more aftermarket EVERYTHING, aftermarket blocks and better heads & intakes.
MOST of the real fast LSXs are not aluminum blocks or stock blocks.

But with the blocks that came in the cars and factory intakes it would be a tough call.

There a 9sec NA LTXs on factory blocks/ intakes/ heads
Once DART comes out with there block I see 6sec potential for the LT1
As soon as a certain Z8s gets to the track we will have a confirmed 7sec lt1 on a factory block wich is the only dedicated twin turbo LTX I know of.

With all that said both have more potential than 99.99999% will ever use. $$$$$
Old 08-10-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Resident

I love the torqe and durability of the lt's. The ls's are awsome, but wont take a beating like an lt from what iv heard. I just killed my first ls1 too lol. But i had more mods of course, but less gear by far, and 3 people in my car...but i out drove him...yadda yadda yadda this debate will never end. I got an lt because theyr cheaper, and parts are also cheaper. Im faster than an ls and have 6500 into my trans am total, and I even pulled my motor and freshened it up with toooons of new stuff. I also drive like a complete idiot and have 30lbs. oil pressure at idle with no cooler and full synthetic and dont use a drop of it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Launching!

***** a LS1.... unless you want to give me one ha.

There is pretty much no denying that the LSx platform has the advantage in every category... as said above though, I like being the underdog. I can show up at the track with an obviously atleast cammed LT1 car and bolt-on LSx cars will race me. That is what makes me stick with an LT1. But, I like a fast car be it a LSx, LTx, 3.8 turbo, big block, ford, or on the VERY rare occasion an import. This is a useless argument, build what you want and **** what other people have to say about it.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:08 PM
11 Second Club

BTW I choose LTX as my weapon of choice having owned both!!!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:11 PM
TECH Resident

^^^WORD!^^^ I love seeing the smirk on whetever the hell should be able to kill an lt, and i love wiping it right off as I walk by with the apacolypse coming out my tailpipes.
TECH Enthusiast

haa my gf's dohc vtec wil blow both of them away...jk
TECH Regular

yea this is kind of what i began thinking. both platforms are good if you have the $$$$$$$
Old 08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

I would like to own an ls1 and form a better opionion after driving it for a few months. Problem is i could never afford one...
Old 08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
I would like to own an ls1 and form a better opionion after driving it for a few months. Problem is i could never afford one...
same here. i love my ltx, and i respect a well built lsx, but i dont think my opinion means crap until i get my ss
Old 08-10-2009, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

I'll stick with the LT looks and what I've got under the hood.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by badfbodyz
ok its obvious that the ltx gets no respect on this site. U hear alot about how "the best built ls1 is twice as fast as the best built lt1" i call BS and heres why. we lt1 guys are all running on our true gm lt1 blocks, aswhere the lsx guys are running good numbers, but the fastest STOCK BLOCK LS1 i believe isnt nearly as fast as the fastest lt1 block car right? i would like to know. cause i dont really care what a lsx car runs if its running anything else but the gm ls1 block. just would like to know what the fastest ls1 block is? and the fastest ltx block car? i could ramble on about this all day, but i'm not. so lets see what you guys have to say
The type of block your running really doesn't make it unfair. That's no different than swapping out the stock internals on an LT1 for aftermarket forged pieces. Once you change those internals anyway that block is no longer stock anymore. And FWIW, the 6.0 iron blocks that most of the really quick LS1 guys are running are infact GM LQ4/LQ9 "factory" production blocks, part of the LSX family. LS1's can't help it if they have more options to choose from lol. The LT1 is still a very respectable motor and as we in here know has a lot of potential. There's just too many good examples of LTX cars for anyone to say otherwise.

I'm not sure how quick the quickest stock-block car is running but I know some guys have ran really fast with the LS1 block. Here is one example:

This car cuts 1.2 60-footers and traps 135mph with no power adder, the stock LS1 block and stock cubes!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/single-di...ort-block.html

Last edited by BLWNV10; 08-11-2009 at 01:19 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Obviously the nicer thing about LTx platform is cheaper. If I ever come upon a good deal, I might trade for a C5, but thats a C5 I mean completely different category than F-bodies. For now I love my LT1, but HATE the ignition system it runs on.

the_merv also has a motor built for torque, but apples for apples, I LOVE the low-end torque the LTx offers over the LSx. Even though all LSx guys think their motors have been touched by the hands of God, it is just simple evolution.

Both cars simply have a ridiculous amount of potential and have always beat the similarly priced Mustangs. 03-04 Cobra is a different story.. I have mad respect for them

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lt1 vs ls1