LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Getting ready to get into the Z28 thing a little.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool Getting ready to get into the Z28 thing a little.

I got a buddy about to buy a 30th anniversary 97 6 spd Z28 from a guy I work with. Car is currently in pieces ( few things out the engine bay ) and needs a head gasket possible or upper intake gasket. I'm not totally new to the the GM chevy thing. As I will be helping him spear head the repair and a few small things here and there. Anything I should be aware of that is model specific outside of the repair. Also,about how far can you mod these things before you have to start to worry about a tune if at all. As I know the Ford EEC system are a bit different.

- Thanks,
Bob
Old 08-19-2009, 02:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The LT1s have their own issues like anything else, the optispark distributor is probably the weakest part of the engine in a lot of people's opinion but I have had no issues with mine. Cold air intake/emissions style headers is about as far as I would go with no tune. With the availability of mail order tunes from some reputable tuners there is no reason to go untuned. Other than that if you are looking for any other possible issues that may arise the list can go on and on.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:47 AM
Launching!

I can handle pretty much anything but like I said I'm not familier with the car. Right now he don't want to spend too much so I want to do bolt on stuff. What's the steepest gear you'd suggest for a 6 spd car ?
Old 08-19-2009, 05:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

stock is 3.42 so a lot of people will suggest 4.11 gears in a 6 speed will really wake it up
Old 08-19-2009, 09:00 PM
Launching!

Thanks again man,
Just some typical bolt on's are planned for now then once she's good to go. I'll see what my buddy has planned for it once it's all said and done. He has it out for this guy with a 94' Cobra in my shop...roflmao.