LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Compression Height

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Compression Height

So I'm contemplating an engine build and I'm thinking......What's the smallest compression height you can run for a street motor? Now I understand that the shorter it is the more the piston rocks in the bore. And for a street engine it won't be a very good thing. But what's the smallest you can reliably go? I've heard of guys running in the 1.2" range without issues, but what about a 1.025 for example. Is that going to be too small? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine are 1.142" and havent had any problems yet. about 3k on the motor now i reckon. i thought that was pretty short. best to talk to a builder or somebody at like je or ross. why do you want one so short?
Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

Big CI stroker.....long stroke requires long rods to clear the counterweights.....makes for really short pistons.
Old 08-19-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i reckon you are trying to squeeze a 4" in there? just remember when you are specing ch you dont have to drop your deck height to the standard 9". and even then you can have your pistons be proud a bit. my block was decked to 9.016" or .16 (never can remember if the zero is supposed to be there) and piston is slightly proud. as long as everybody involved knows what is going on you should be ok. my builder had a 4" cola in the lt1 he built for his personal car.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:40 PM
duh
TECH Fanatic

That's exactly what I'd like to do, but the car sees tons of street time so I don't wanna junk the motor by driving it. I'm pretty sure spec for the deck is 9.025 and I'd like to keep the pistons at zero or in slightly and not out, but I suppose if I'm out a few hundredths it won't kill anything. I'm more concerned about longevity than CI.....Joys of spec-ing a new powerplant....yeah!

Quick Reply: Compression Height