LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Oversized injectors OK?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Oversized injectors OK?

I was wondering if oversized injectors are okay to use if the car gets tuned? For example: I need to go with 34/36lb injectors.

Would it be okay to go with 42lb injectors?
Old 08-20-2009, 02:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it should work if its tuned properly. but, id recommend using the 36's.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there any reasons why I shouldn't go with too big of an injector. The only thing I can come up with that the injector is like a hose nozzle. When trying to get a mist, you need it to be @ a certain pressure, anything below turns it into a sprinkle/drip. Going with too big of an injector causes the injector to drip/sprinkle instead of mist?

Am I in the same ball field of fluid dynamics?
Old 08-20-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I have 39# injectors for my cam-only build. I know it's overkill, but I got the injectors new for a good price so I threw them in. It's tuned for them and they work fine.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you need larger injectors? If it's a cam/head swap then the SVO30's will be perfect and will support 400+ RWHP. I have 30's on mine now and I am a little close to 80% at WOT so all good.

FYI - The SVOs actually flow a little higher then their rating on our cars as we are running higer PSI - 42.5 vs. the ford standard of 30'ish I believe.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above, your car will run on injectors that are too big for your application. But, in every test that I have done I have found that I made more power with the right injectors.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GIZMO
As stated above, your car will run on injectors that are too big for your application. But, in every test that I have done I have found that I made more power with the right injectors.
Correct, it's better to get injectors that match your application as if you go too big then you do not get a good spray/atomization from the injector. If you are going to spray alot or go FI then go with 42, but if you are NA then that is wayyyy to big for you. As before, I recc the SVO 30's if you are just doing a cam swap and/or head update. Let us know your goals/plans so we can better recc a good injector for you.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

You can use them if tuned properly, Do you need those...No, I removed my supercharger and was going turbo, in the mean time I still Ran my 85lb injectors with no problems but as said with proper tuning, I even got 25mph!!! on the hwy with my m6...
Old 08-21-2009, 07:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
You can use them if tuned properly, Do you need those...No, I removed my supercharger and was going turbo, in the mean time I still Ran my 85lb injectors with no problems but as said with proper tuning, I even got 25mph!!! on the hwy with my m6...
I once stood on the running board of a 30's car holding a milk jug full of fuel with a hose running to the carb while we circled the block. That worked too!
Old 08-21-2009, 08:03 AM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Rule of thumb to find an optimal injector size:

flywheel hp x 0.07= injector size

500hp X .07= 35#

From what I've read and have been told, injector calculators use an 80% duty to be on the safe side.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:17 AM
TECH Addict

I once stood on the running board of a 30's car holding a milk jug full of fuel with a hose running to the carb while we circled the block. That worked too!
Actually that will work if you hold the jug high enough to gravity feed the carb..
and your point is??
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
...and your point is??
My point would be that you can get just about anything to run. Hot Rodders are always looking for something to enhance their cars. In this section they often seem to lean towards injectors, intakes, and throttle bodies. Three things that they rarely actually need.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

My point would be that you can get just about anything to run. Hot Rodders are always looking for something to enhance their cars. In this section they often seem to lean towards injectors, intakes, and throttle bodies. Three things that they rarely actually need.

Yea you are right, I don't know why people think that with larger injectors they will make more horsepower, of course if you are maxed out and "Need" larger ones to keep climbing the rpm band the I guess you could say with larger injectors I made more horsepower.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bear in mind, the 80% duty cycle is considered the maximum. If you go over that, you need to increase the injector size.
You can safely go over to a certain extent, if you expect to do further mods down the road. The danger is (IIRC) the idling characteristics. If the injector is too large, it can't idle correctly b/c it wants to spray too much fuel.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:32 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run 42lbers on my setup without any issues.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by C_Rules
i run 42lbers on my setup without any issues.
Cool. What is your A/F ratio, duty cycle, and fuel pressure (WOT)?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:58 AM
TECH Junkie

I run 42's as well. Overkill for my setup but I got them for $100 brand new through a friend. I'm going to be trading/selling them shortly to get smaller ones..

Car is tuned though and runs decent. I'm sure a smaller injector would be better
Old 08-21-2009, 01:05 PM
Launching!

The trouble with too big an injector is idle quality and low speed are going to suffer. It takes a particular amount of time to open and close an injector. When you start to idle on very large injectors and you end up with injector timing below about 2ms you start to get into trouble. The stock pcm only has so much resolution for control over how long it holds injectors open. Anyways the point of this is you end up with a very coarse adjustment for idle and low speed fueling. The stock injectors will idle around 5ms and usually it adjusts in 0.1ms increments, now 0.1ms out of 5 is a lot less % diff than 0.1 out of 1.5ms. That is why injectors should be sized properly for the job if its a street car you plan on driving. This is also the reason why really high powered turbo cars will run 16 injectors, as they work in stages sort of like a nitrous window switch.

Now depending on what you're doing and the hardware involved, there may be other cases for race only pieces.

The advantage of slightly too big injectors for a street car is the ability to run e85 if you have a good way to regulate the fuel pressure up to get the extra room required. A good way to regulate fuel pressure does not mean a stock replacement type adjustable rail mounted regulator, it means welding an fittings on the rails and running a good race quality regulator.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

What do you mean by poor idle? 0_o My car idles plenty fine and drives excellent. Granted, I'm sure with a more properly sized injector it would be even better, but I don't experience any noticeable abnormalities in idle quality (low rpm speeds are kind of mushy though)
Old 08-21-2009, 01:12 PM
12 Second Club

well my a/f is whatever i set it at. it made to most power on a mustang dyno running an 11.8. got a track rental coming up will see what it actually runs the quickest at. fuel pressure is at 44 at idle. never checked it at WOT since my gauge is under the hood. i can't recall my duty cycle id have check an old log. im thinking its in the 70s though.

Quick Reply: Oversized injectors OK?