LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

New coil install HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 12:19 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New coil install HELP

Here is a pic of my old crane cams coil. It is all messy looking so I am putting a factory AC Delco which looks different. The plug wire and harness plug in are different which is the problem. Also I have circled the two wires near the top because I don't know what or why they are there. Help!!

Old 08-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Teching In

input please
Old 08-21-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can you post a bigger picture? Looking at the pic I see, it appears that someone has installed a different connector on the coil. The bottom circled pic looks to be your ignition control module. Appears to have an aftermarket wiring harness installed inline, possibly for an ignition box.
Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Teching In

True there was an ignition box but it wasn't hooked up to anything so I just took it out. I just want this thing back to stock so it will look better and run good. Can I get around the other connector you think, I am not very electrical savvy when it comes to cars
Old 08-21-2009, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Someone butchered the hell out of those connections. Some people should never have a pair of wire cutters/crimpers ever put in their hand...

This will give you an idea of what it's supposed to look like:
http://shbox.com/1/coil_loc.jpg
*Note that the coil in that picture is a '95 coil, the '96-'97 coil that you need for your car will have a flat 4-pin connector like the ICM has. The coils will mount to the bracket the same however.
See here for the differences:
http://chevythunder.com/lt1_electrical_page.htm

You need to get a hold of the right mounting bracket for the ICM and coil. You also need the right connectors for each and you need to know what wires to connect to them.