LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Thinking of making a "Sticky"?

Old 11-24-2003, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Thinking of making a "Sticky" for the Newbies?

Some of you may have noticed that we recieve about 5 or 6 repeat posts a week concerning beginner mods, what works, and what doesnt. It has become obvious that many newbies arent familiar with the Search option and even if they were, its sometimes hard to find requests using that function so I can understand their need to post questions. I was contemplating over the thought of putting a sticky that would be placed at the top of the LT1 section and would outline most of the beginner mods. This would provide most of the information needed for "Guest" or newbies and would keep us from having to read the same questions that get asked by a lot of the newer members. Everybody would be free to add mods that they have done or free-mods to the list so that we could all share and have some sort of input. This would not be a means by which to disregard posts asking about mods, but just a basic overview of the beginner modifications that could be done to the LT1's that we love. Please offer your opinion so I can get a rough idea if this should be done or not. Thanx

Last edited by Gangly; 11-24-2003 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think that sounds like a very good idea, especially considering that the new Search blows ***. Go for it!
Old 11-24-2003, 05:30 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Good idea, but I'm sure we'll still get unwanted posts. In any event be sure to blame the opti spark in this sticky post for every single possible problem. From head lights dont work, leaking oil, tranny slipping and any other possible thing. Its been done on certain other boards for years.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bizzzatch350
Good idea, but I'm sure we'll still get unwanted posts. In any event be sure to blame the opti spark in this sticky post for every single possible problem. From head lights dont work, leaking oil, tranny slipping and any other possible thing. Its been done on certain other boards for years.
Yep. I once had a tear in my driver's side front seat, which was directly due to an opti-spark malfunction.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Yep. I once had a tear in my driver's side front seat, which was directly due to an opti-spark malfunction.
whats an opti ,

hey speaking of the search blowing ***, I still havent found any conclusive answers in any search refering to a low knock sensor ref voltage. I have heard many off people complaing about that throwing an ses code on both obd I and II (make that one of the stickies)
Old 11-25-2003, 01:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

The Opti-spark is your GM high-tech ignition coil. It's the best on the market!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:25 PM
11 Second Club

opti
intake manifold oil leak
cam bearing degradation
headers (types and advertised power gains)
LT4 conversion
exhausts (with advertised power gains and description - audio file? - of sound)
stroker options (355, 383, 396, 409)

Any other basic problems / mods.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will be a list for newbies regarding the most basic of bolt-ons that can be done to enhance the performance of their LT1's. Other questions arent asked frequent enough to warrant a sticky, but if they eventually become a primarily asked "first-time" question for new members, then we can set that up as well. I'll start working on it and throw it ya'lls way to see what ya'll think.
Old 11-25-2003, 08:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Super Mario
The Opti-spark is your GM high-tech ignition coil. It's the best on the market!
Opti- yea so in other words set up a group purchase for the coil pack converstion.

actually if I could live with cutting up the cowling Id have the intake machined and go with a distributor.

Hey sorry for hacking up your thread, I like the idea of setting up and index of frequent questions, however adding torque specs, and break down of assemblys would also be a nice feature.
It would be nice to have a built in manual on a forum. of course it would have to be based around Ls1's first and since there are many Lt1's here I think some of those to.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of making a "Sticky"?