12 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Default starting to get pissed at this fuel issue

I have replaced EVERYTHING!

-pump
-regulator
-filter
-installed Racetronix HotWire kit

I am still having issues with the pump dropping pressure after a 30-45 minute drive. It's like when the car gets hot and I beat on it a little it's saying F off. Remember my car is a V6-V8 swap car.

I've pulled the pump to make sure there's no ventilation issues. Made sure all the grounds are fine, and cleaned the pump filter bag which sits inside the tank.

WTF IS GOING ON! I'm scared to take it too far from home from being scared of getting stuck. Someone help.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tbird31
I have replaced EVERYTHING!

-pump
-regulator
-filter
-installed Racetronix HotWire kit

I am still having issues with the pump dropping pressure after a 30-45 minute drive. It's like when the car gets hot and I beat on it a little it's saying F off. Remember my car is a V6-V8 swap car.

I've pulled the pump to make sure there's no ventilation issues. Made sure all the grounds are fine, and cleaned the pump filter bag which sits inside the tank.

WTF IS GOING ON! I'm scared to take it too far from home from being scared of getting stuck. Someone help.

Do you have a GAUGE where you can watch fuel pressure?

Make sure you dont have a kinked, pinched line where the tank goes in.

Does it bog down of shut off?
Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Yea, I have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge which I've connected directly to the fuel rail. I've check all the fuel lines a few times. Nothing is kinked. It just drops fuel pressure and then when I get on it, it'll come back up but eventually it'll just die out.
Old 08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How does the pump sound when you cycle the pump without starting the engine? How does it sound when your driving and it gets to the point of quitting? Does it ever get loud and make a moaning sound? Are all your vent tubes for the tank and gas cap good? Sometimes on a really hot day, these things can build massive pressure in the tank and actually take out the pump. It happened to me. You could have also got a bum pump, thats not unheard of.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

maybe the pump is a melon ? or maybe your building up vacuum in the tank ?
Old 08-21-2009, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 93TAJ.C.
How does the pump sound when you cycle the pump without starting the engine? How does it sound when your driving and it gets to the point of quitting? Does it ever get loud and make a moaning sound? Are all your vent tubes for the tank and gas cap good? Sometimes on a really hot day, these things can build massive pressure in the tank and actually take out the pump. It happened to me. You could have also got a bum pump, thats not unheard of.
The pump sounds fine starting up, and to be quite honest I can't hear the pump with the car running, too loud. haha. All vent tubes and gas cap all hold pressure from what I've checked. I've actually been through 2 pumps already. This is my third. I'm honestly thinking about going with a different brand of pump at this point.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

Do you have an aftermarket FPR or stock? I actually had a friend that was going through the same thing went through 4 pumps FPR new lines everything. Well one day I just discounted all the lines directly from the tank except pressure and return line worked fine. Ended up being something in the Vent for the tank wasnt letting it breath so would build up to much vacuum and pump would lose pressure and eventually burn out. try poping the gas cap enough for it to breath and see if that helps.

Also are you still using the stock bucket on the pump assy the pump could be getting hot and not working right to. You could also just sump the tank and run an external pump if it come down to it.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

When u replaced the regulater did you clean out the rails
Old 08-22-2009, 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Loosen your gascap & see if it makes a difference. Your tank vent could be clogged.

Otherwise, the area of the bucket that the pump goes in may not be sealing correctly, allowing it to suck the bucket dry. Do you still have the return line going into the bucket?

I doubt it is the pump.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Yes I have just a stock replacement FPR. I honestly just don't have the money for an external and I'd prefer not to have to replace the pump every year due to it overheating.

Yes I cleaned the fuel lines and everything when I swapped the FPR.

I've thought it could be a ventilation issue but I've pulled the pump and made sure everything is how it's supposed to be in there. As well as traced all the lines to make sure they aren't kinked or anything. I'll try the gas cap idea. I'll try anything just about now, I'm so tired of this. It's hindering my mountains trip that I've been wanting to take all summer...
Old 08-22-2009, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was having this same problem. It would run fine for about 30 minutes but then die on me. It would start back up but only run for a couple blocks at a time untill it cooled down. I'm on my 3rd walbro 255 now.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Have you checked to see if the pump is still getting power when this happens? It could be the relay. I had this happen with a relay on my old truck, the relay would cut out intermittently. Usually when warm.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If its a Walbro pump I can tell you they had a quality problem this spring and the fuel pump would fail after about 20 minutes. The car then will start and run fine. I replaced so much stuff on my car I can't tell you. Walbro knows the probelm exists and will replace the pump if you contact them.

I thought the problem was solved. My car actually has a stock pump currently though I doubt it really provides enough fuel for the my new engine build. I'm a little worried about putting another Walbro in honestly.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Launching!

I had a holley version of a walbro and after 500 miles it crapped out. It would get hot and lose pressure we replaced it with an actual walbro pump no more issues. I think the Holley was a Chinese counterfeit.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pyro719
I was having this same problem. It would run fine for about 30 minutes but then die on me. It would start back up but only run for a couple blocks at a time untill it cooled down. I'm on my 3rd walbro 255 now.

Man your situation sounds all to similar...I'm on my 3rd as well...

Dan, I'm assuming you're talking about the relay underneath the drivers kick panel. I replaced that last summer, it could be bad but I'm not sure. Remember I have the Racetronics Hot Wire kit which routes power directly from the back of the alternator to the fuel pump itself. After I put that in it holds pressure amazingly and never drops, when compared to the stock wiring which when I got higher in the rpm range it would drop off...